Friday, March 13, 2009

God is Love

Psalm 118: 1 Give thanks to the Lord, who is good, whose love endures forever.
There is a Hebrew word for God's love - hesed. It is a word that describes the indescribable: the passionate, unrelenting, merciful love of God. I used to think that God loved me only if I was good, only if I deserved it, only if I went to church and didn't do anything too bad. I call that a Santa Claus kind of spirituality. If I am good, God loves me. If I am bad, my name gets written down on some list somewhere.
The big mistake I made was thinking that God loves like we humans love. Not so. Not even close. Our love is limited. God's love is limitless. Our love is conditional. God's love is unconditional. God loved us before we even existed. We DO love. God IS love. His very essence is love.
When we really get this, I mean REALLY get this, from the top of our heads to the bottom of our hearts, then we begin to really trust in God's love. Not only God's love for ourselves, but God's love for everyone else. And when we really get that, then maybe we can learn to love others, too. Then maybe peace has a chance - in the world - and in our own hearts.
First published in Prayerful Morsels

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring indeed. What you say here is so true and it's a message that so many people need to hear - especially those who regard themselves as fallen, unloveable or a failure in some way.
Came here from Catholic Everything - keep upthe good work!

Colleen said...

Thank you for visiting my blog and for your kind words and encouragement. I agree with you that people need to hear this message. It was a message I needed to hear myself for years. Now I try to spread it when I can. God bless.