Sunday, January 30, 2011

Blessed Are We

"Blessed are you..." (Mt 5:11)
God's thoughts are not our thoughts. That is certainly brought home to us when we read the Beatitudes. I mean, Blessed are the poor in spirit .... Blessed are those who mourn...
Really?
In the secular world, we tend to measure success by wealth, awards, fame, possessions. In Jesus' mind and thoughts and words, it is quite different.
I have to admit though, that I have experienced some of these to be true.
Blessed are those who mourn ... not only myself but others I have spoken to have experienced great comfort when in mourning. There has been no doubt in our minds that God was there, carrying us through the pain.
Blessed are the clean of heart ... when we put God first in our lives, do we not "see" Him more often? Sometimes it is in nature, or in another person, or in one of those "nudges" from the Holy Spirit.
And lately I have been thinking a lot about that last one - Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you because of me...We find this to be true in the Pro Life movement, do we not? Are we not insulted and persecuted because of our beliefs? And do we really want it any other way?
I mean, we MUST be on the right track when you consider all the forces trying to work against us? Right?
For a long time, I did not rejoice over this, but I am beginning to think differently. I am trying to think as a daughter of God, not a daughter of this world ... this world of accolades, pats on the back, everyone agreeing with me all of the time...
It sure isn't easy, but whoever said that it was supposed to be?
Dear Jesus, help me. I spend a lot of time on my knees, my face in the dirt, begging forgiveness, trying to find you or hear your voice, begging for help and wisdom. Please, Jesus, help me to remember that this is a good place to be, even if it does not feel good by the world's standards. Even if others do not understand. Just stay with me, Lord, when I am in the pit and not trusting. Please do not let go of me. Amen.
image source

11 comments :

Karinann said...

Beautiful reflection and prayer, Colleen. I've been praying a version of that Jesus don't let go of me prayer too- mine is that and for Him to not let ME let go of HIM.
Hugs & God bless!

Connie Arnold said...

Lovely post, Colleen! I listened to that same scripture being read this morning, and your post adds some great, thoughtful comments about it.

Colleen said...

Karinann, thanks so much. I like your addition to that prayer. I need that one too! :) Hugs!

Connie, thank you so much. God bless and thanks for visiting!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Love the image of being on my face in the dirt and God being with me. I feel strangely safe when I am repenting. And I agree with Karinann's addition, too.

Colleen said...

Barb, thanks for that. I agree - there is a feeling of safety when I repent. Like we know it brings us closer. God bless!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Beautiful meditation, Colleen.

Colleen said...

Carol, thank you! God bless!

evanscove said...

Right on target! Something I need to keep in mind when I'm feeling like a failure because of the standards held up to me by secular society. I need to remember to focus on God's standards.

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, focusing on God's standards - Amen to that!! Thanks!

Kathleen@so much to say said...

Lovely, Colleen. I think it's easier to be grateful in the crisis moments of our lives, because we stop worrying about the peripherals...so yes, "blessed are" those in crisis situations. Not that I want any more crisis situations to handle, but it helps me to look at them differently when they do arrive.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, I agree! It is like Jesus gave us something to hold onto!