Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thankful for Blessings - Double Rainbows and Retreats

I love Wednesdays because it is the day I can join my friend, Judy, in this thankful meme at her inspiring blog, A Thankful Woman's Book of Blessings. In this meme we give thanks for the five things we are most thankful for this past week and then link to Judy's blog. Thank you, Judy, for helping me keep an attitude of gratitude!
Some of my blessings this week -
1. My husband and I went on a weekend retreat with the diaconate community in our diocese. The retreat master was Father Andrew Apostoli and he was just awesome! And I had some quiet time for prayer and reflection which I really needed.
2. One day on my way home from work, I saw one of the most beautiful double rainbows I have ever seen! It was even mentioned on the local news! The colors were so bright and vibrant. It was gorgeous and gave me goose-bumps!
3. Last night I saw a full moon peeking out through a cloudy sky as I drove home from work. As if driving home isn't a joy in itself, I have seen some really beautiful skies lately!
4. My patron saint for this year - St. Francis de Sales, whose feast day is next week. He is the patron saint of writers and he was a spiritual director so I am feeling more and more drawn to him. (By the way, a blogging buddy, Karinann, chose him to be my patron saint. Thank you Karinann!)
5. Quiet peaceful evenings, late at night, my neighborhood is quiet, I am sitting in my favorite chair, reading or writing or praying. And drinking ice coffee. Heaven. Thank you, Lord.

14 comments :

Eileen @ Ordained Praise said...

That is awesome that you and hubby went on retreat! Pray that some day we can take the time ourselves too for growth and fellowship together. My husband seems to be into other things. It is so important to work as a team!

munchesmom said...

What a lovely list, Colleen! You have so much to be thankful for. How perfect that St. Francis de Sales chose you this year!

Karinann said...

A retreat preached by Fr. Andrew Apostoli- what a blessing! I love listening to him when he is on EWTN.
Thanks for the link- glad St Francis de Sales is being such a good friend and companion on your journey.
Hugs & blessings!

Colleen said...

Eileen, I will surely pray for you and your hubby! Perhaps you could go on a retreat alone and when he sees the fruit of your special time with the Lord, he may wish to join you the next time! Just a thought. :)

munchesmom, thank you! I love how you put it that St Francis chose me. What a wonderful thought to ponder!

Karinann, Father Andrew was surely a blessing. You are most welcome for the link. Hugs!

Maria said...

I'll never forget the first and only time I saw a double rainbow - in Kansas, no less, where the sky is bigger than anything I've ssen in New England. It was glorious.

Colleen said...

Maria, that must have been awesome! Thanks for visiting!

therese rita said...

I just have to ask, Colleen, how can you drink iced coffee at night? I'd never go to sleep if I did that!

purethoughts said...

wow, It's been a while now since I last saw a beautiful rainbow. It is indeed a reminder of God's faithfulness! Thanks for sharing.... by the way it's my first time to join Judy's meme. :)

Jean Wise said...

I saw that moon last night too. so beautiful and peaceful. love your thankfilled list.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

It would be wonderful to make a retreat with Father Andrew Apostoli. How fortunate you are.

I'd love to have seen that double rainbow. It's because of incidents like these I will be carrying my camera with me wherever I go. You just never know when God has a surprise lined up for you.

Mary333 said...

The retreat sounds awesome, Colleen! Glad you enjoyed it! And St. Francis will be perfect for you! God bless you, my friend :)

Ruth said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful list. A quiet neighborhood, what a blessing it is. That's what I need here :)

I enjoyed my visit. Thanks!

Colleen said...

therese rita, caffeine does not seem to bother me. I used to drink hot coffee all day long and I could go to sleep at night without a problem. I drink a lot less of it now, but I love ice coffee!

purethoughts - glad you joined us! it is a great meme and you will make some great friends! God bless!

Jean, thank you! Glad you saw that moon too! It was awesome!

Barb, I know what you mean - God loves to surprise us, it seems. And I do feel blessed by that retreat.

Mary! Glad to "see" you! God bless you, too. Hugs!

Ruth, it is not always quiet but when it is, I enjoy it!! Thanks for visiting! God bless!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

I am late in reading entries for this meme this week...sorry! WHAT A LIST!
Double rainbows, retreats, and evening coffee in your favorite chair!
YOU ARE BLESSED, indeed, my friend!
Thanks for joining your thankful heart with mine as we raise them to the Lord! BTW, Francis De Sales is one of my MOST favorite Saints!