Sunday, January 23, 2011

Who Do We Belong To?

...the people who sit in darkness have seen a great light, on those dwelling in a land overshadowed by death light has arisen. Matthew 4:16

Jesus said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” At once they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:19-20
Jesus is our light.
In Jesus' name we fish. Not in our own name, or in the name of some beloved priest or author. Not in the name of a parish, or the name of a bishop.
We fish in the name of Christ. We keep our eyes focused on the Lamb.
We spend time with Jesus. We worship Him. And then we go and we bring His Light to others. So we too can be fishers of people.
We Catholics seem to argue with each other lately about many things. Yes, some of us are more conservative, more old-fashioned. Some of us are more liberal, more modern.
Nothing wrong with being different. In fact, we need to love and respect our differences. We are each called to walk our own path to God. We are each of us unique.
But when we start judging each other too harshly, or argue too loudly, perhaps we need to stop and ask ourselves: Who do we have in common? Who do we belong to? Who is our Light, our Lamb, our Lord?
Jesus, you are my Lord and my God. When I start to think my way is the only way, help me to remember that I belong to You. And only You. Jesus, You are the Lord of my life. 

15 comments :

deodate said...

Great thoughts Colleen, especially in these times in the Catholic Church. We need to stay focused on Jesus, and the beautiful gift of the Eucharist and how uniting that truly is.
Andie

Maria said...

Good reminder. Thanks, Colleen.

Karinann said...

Colleen,
Your post made me think of the movie, Miracle about the 1980 Olympic hockey team. The coach during an impromptu practice session tries to get his young players to see that they play for and as a team; he asks them Who do you play for? It takes awhile but one tired and smart young man finally replies USA. In order for them to succeed they needed to get past their differences and work together. You make good points in your reflection- Who do we belong to- despite differences, we all belong to Christ and it is His "team" for which we "play".
Thanks for these insights.
Hugs and blessings!

Colleen said...

Andie, thank you! I feel the same!

Maria, you are welcome!

Karinann, I forgot about that scene, but yes, you are right! It is a lot like that.
I think we forget sometimes. We want to be RIGHT about how we feel about certain issues. But it all comes down to one Person. Jesus. Thanks for understanding what I was trying to say. Hugs!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Beautifully-put.

Colleen said...

Thank you Judy! God bless!

RAnn said...

Well put;so often we want to be right so we forget we are on the same team

Colleen said...

RAnn, thank you! You put it well too!

Joann said...

Jesus' Truth remains the same through the centuries. We need to be with Him on the boat before we fish. Thank you Colleen

Colleen said...

Joann, oh, that is great! Amen! I love that - we need to be on the boat with Jesus before we fish. Thank you!

Kathleen@so much to say said...

Colleen: not that you need any more "Amen sistah" posts, but AMEN! I've been feeling bruised lately by discussions that mirror exactly what you're saying. There's room for all our gifts, all our aesthetic preferences, within the beautiful thing that is the Church.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

A topic worth discussing. I have no problem accepting the paths God has called anyone to follow - to me His will is paramount for each individual and I believe I have no right to criticize the vocation or works of anyone as long as they are in sync with Church teaching. Where I have a problem is when people are voicing differences because they dissent from Church teaching. It is dissent that has severely weakened the Church in the 20th century.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, amen to YOU too! I have felt bruised by it as well. Thanks.

Barb, I so agree with you and I like the way you put it. But rest assured this post was not dealing with serious matters of dissent. I was talking more about judging each other's prayer life or quibbling over little things - it just drives me nuts.
God bless!

David Marciniak said...

"For when one said "I am of Paul", and another "of Apollos"...

The Church is a melting pot of movements, congregations, orders and spirituality, yet we are all members of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church - and need to behave accordingly. Great post with valid points, thank you.

Colleen said...

David, yes, we are! Well said! Thank you!