Sunday, February 6, 2011

Let Our Light Shine

Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father. (Matthew 5:16)
We are the light of the world. Jesus tells us this.
Jesus tells us that we cannot hide our light. We cannot put it under a bushel basket. 
We cannot pretend to be someone else.
We cannot hide the gifts we were given.
We cannot hide who we are. 
For we are children of God. And so, we must let our light shine. The light God gave each of us. We must let it shine so others will see (not us)... So others will see our Father in heaven.
Dear God, I know I sometimes let my light dim. I hide from others the gifts you have given me, the person you created me to be. 
I hide the light from others and I hide the light from myself, too. Sometimes I get scared. Help me to come out of hiding. Help me to remember that there is no light without you. Amen.
image source

12 comments :

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

We attend church on Sat. night (they have services on both Sat. and Sun. at our church). Anyway, tonight the pastor spoke about this very thing :-) It's so true Colleen. We need to be lights, sharing Jesus light to the world. You do this beautifully :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Colleen said...

Marcia, thank you. I appreciate your kind words very much. God bless!

Anne said...

That part about letting others see God in us, that's the hard part, I think. Too often I get big-headed and think its all about me and I forget that it is His presence within me that shines and glistens.

Colleen said...

Anne, I struggle with that too. Thanks for your comment!

deodate said...

I love the way that you say, 'we can't pretend to be anyone else.' That is so true. We are all called to shine our own light which is generated from our uniqueness as a child of God. Well said Colleen, thanks.
Andie

Colleen said...

Andie, thank you! God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Well prayed, Colleen. If we make Christ the center of our lives and pray faithfully, God will shine from us. But if we get too caught up in other things and forget Christ, we are hiding our light under a bushel.

Colleen said...

Barb, well said! Thanks!

Mary333 said...

I loved your prayer, Colleen! I hope you are feeling better and that the RA pain has lessened. You are in my prayers.

Colleen said...

Mary, thank you! The RA is up and down right now. Thanks for your prayers!

Jamey said...

How true Colleen...thanks for posting this. :)

Colleen said...

Jamey, thank you! Thanks for stopping by!