Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sabbath Moments and Retreats

Sabbath moments are the moments we rest in God, when we take time to just Be with God rather than Do. Sabbath moments are also those times when we live in the moment and find the holy in the ordinary. I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
Some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. I already wrote about the parish mission this week, but it has to be mentioned again here. I was so tired and really fought the idea of going, but something told me to go anyway! It was worth it, and certainly was a great way to spend time with the Lord!
2. Friday was spent writing and relaxing in my pj's. A truly wonderful day of sabbath moments!
3. I have been feeling drawn more to Jesuit spirituality recently and have been reading In the Midst of Noise, An Ignatian retreat in Everyday Life. This little book gives me great food for thought every day. The short chapters are just enough to give me sabbath moments throughout the day - moments of time resting with God.

6 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

That Ignatian book sounds interesting. I'm debating about getting St. Thomas Aquinas' "Meditations for Lent". Our spiritual life is WORK! I say that because we have to be serious enough about it to make time for the Lord, especially when we'd rather be doing something else. Props to you for going to the retreat even though you were tired. Every time I made the extra effort, God rewarded me and I'm sure He did so for you. God bless you and thanks for Sabbath Moments.

Colleen said...

Barb, you are right! Our spiritual life IS work, AND sacrifice AND rewarding! Thanks for joining me!

evanscove said...

Spending a day in your jammies? I guess we never completely outgrow that--though for me it's spending a day in lounging clothes, without shaving! ;-)

Glad to hear you had a spiritually fruitful retreat at your parish. Those are always good. I'm looking forward to our parish's Lenten retreat.

I've never looked into Jesuit spirituality. The Passionist charism probably have more appeal to me, but I'm sure Ignatius's spiritual exercises are beneficial. In fact, I've thought about trying them.

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, yes! I LOVE spending a day in my pj's. I feel relaxed and free! If I were a man, I would go without shaving too! lol
I used to feel the same way about Jesuit spirituality but lately I seem to be called to it! Thanks for joining me!

RAnn said...

I really need to take time for some of your Sabbath Moments--my life is so busy and I fight slow so much

Colleen said...

RAnn, I know what you mean! Sabbath moments really do help me slow down. At least a few times a week anyway! And actually, after a while, I began to look for more ways to slow down. It became easier somehow. Sometimes! :)