Sunday, February 27, 2011

This Day Will Never Come Again

But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides.
Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil. (Matthew 6:33-34)
Oh gosh. I am such a worrier.
I worry about lots of little things and I worry about big things and I even worry about worrying.
I also worry a lot about tomorrow and what it will bring. I have to keep reminding myself that I need to live in the present moment. Because that is where God is.
When the day is over, all I can do is let go. Ah, but that is the rub isn't it? We can only let go if we trust. And trusting is not an easy thing to do.
I remember once reading a reflection by Thomas Merton (from the Merton Institute of Contemplative Living) who was writing about a beautiful summer afternoon and he said - "This day will never come again."
This phrase really grabbed my heart and I have not forgotten it. I am far from knowing how to live it out perfectly, but I try to remember it whenever I realize I am worrying about tomorrow yet again.
Worry wastes the gift of today that God has given us, a day we can never get back. Worry leads us to focus on ourselves rather than focus on God.
Seek God first and the rest will be given to us.
This day will never come again.
Dear Lord, please help me to remember to let go of my worries. Help me to trust in you more, Lord, and to think about myself less. Help me to put you first in all I think, do and say. Amen.
image source

11 comments :

Debra said...

"I worry about worrying"...yep! that is me too! Sometimes I even wonder if I am worrying God with all my worrying!

Hope you have a blessed Sunday. Thanks for dropping by my blog. As you can see I'm taking a little break from writing but hope to return soon!

Karinann said...

Colleen,
I love the title of your post and Merton is so right. Each of our days is a gift which is probably why Jesus was so emphatic about us not worrying.
Love the new blog look~it is bedecked in my favorite color :)
Hugs & blessings!

Mary333 said...

Loved the Thomas Merton quote, Colleen! The Rosary seems to help me a lot when I'm anxious about something. When I'm finished praying it things seem a lot brighter.

I enjoyed the article you left me the link to. Thanks Colleen!

Colleen said...

Debra, ahhhh. I am not alone! I pray that God helps us both stop worrying so much! Blessings to you! Enjoy your break!

Karinann, glad you like m blog look. Figured I would get into the Lenten season. Glad you liked my blog title - those words just grab me. Hugs back!!

Mary, glad you liked that article. I am glad to hear the rosary helps you when you feel some anxiety. I will have to try that next time!

Jean Wise said...

What a great Merton Quote and one that will stick with me. Yes hold each moment as precious. thanks, Colleen

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

This is so beautiful. The reading about the flowers of the field is one of my favorites...it is SO comforting! So...when we worry...do you really think we are not trusting God...or is it more that we are doubting OURSELVES and the choices we will make in surrendering and following Him? I wonder this at times. Our blogging friend "Munchesmom" wrote the other day: "What if all I had today was only the things I'd given thanks for yesterday"?
WO! That REALLY hit me in the heart of the matter!

Colleen said...

Jean, you are welcome! It is a great phrase to carry around in our hearts and pray it and remember!

Judy, I think doubting ourselves is part of it, and I think you make a good point. But I think trust is really a big part of it. When we have a problem, will God really help us through it? Will he really be there, when I beg him to help me? I KNOW he will and yet, I worry. Hmmm. Perhaps it is a mix of both!! :)
That quote from munchesmom is really something! Wow!

Kathleen@so much to say said...

That's a gorgeous quote. Thanks for sharing it.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, you are most welcome. I really loved it too.

Joann said...

Know what you mean, Colleen. I had a refrigerator magnet reminder that said something like:
"Yesterday is History.
Tomorrow is a Mystery.
Today is a Gift, that's why
its called the Present!"

Colleen said...

Joann - I love that! Thanks!