Sunday, March 20, 2011

Change Me, Lord

And he was transfigured before them; his face shone like the sun and his clothes became white as light. - Matthew 17:2
Several years ago I attended the Spiritual Direction School at the Pecos Monastery high up in the mountains in New Mexico. The first session was for 4 weeks and was an intense spiritual experience.
The day I left, my classmates and I wandered around the airport in a daze, feeling like we were in a foreign country. There was too much noise and too many people.
When I got home, it took a good week or so to readjust to a "normal" life. I remember thinking that I understood how Peter felt up on that mountain. I too had wanted to build a tent and stay there. 
But I had to come home. I missed my husband and my children. I also had to come home to share the Jesus I had come to know. And to share the new me - the me that Jesus had transformed.
"Mountaintop experiences" are not given to us to be kept to ourselves. They are mean to be shared. They are meant to be given to others.
Like Peter, I had to come down off the mountain to learn that.
Jesus, I am grateful for the gifts you have given me. Help me to share them with others. Change me, Lord. Help me to become more like you. Amen.

15 comments :

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Great blog & post..I will link to you..perhaps you will to me?

Colleen said...

Jackie, indeed I will! I liked your blog. Thanks for the link to the Stations of the Cross. God bless!

Jean Wise said...

I especially like this prayer, Colleen. Thanks

Colleen said...

Jean, thanks so much!

Karinann said...

Great post Colleen. I love how you said our mountaintop experiences are meant to be shared. So true, but I at times have wanted also to stay there like Peter.
Thanks too for the w-book of your Lenten Journal; I enjoyed following it last year.
Hugs and God bless!

Colleen said...

Thanks Karinann, glad you like the Lenten Journal and I appreciate your support. Hope you are having a blessed Lent! Hugs and prayers!

Mary333 said...

I bet it WAS an adjustment! Still, I for one am glad you came down from that mountain and that you share your spiritual experiences with us :)

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

So beautiful. Thank you.

Colleen said...

Mary, thank you! God bless! Have a great week!

Judy, Glad you liked it. Hugs and blessings!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Change me, Lord - the right prayer for us all. Thanks, Colleen.

Colleen said...

Barb, thanks so much! God bless!

Karen said...

Lately before school, I stop at the church nearby and spend some quiet time. Usually Mass is just ending as I get there. It is wonderful - the peace, the mountaintop. But always I must leave and go back down into the valley and try to share what I have been given.

Colleen said...

Karen, thanks for sharing this with me. It is hard to leave that mountaintop isnt it? God bless!

Kathleen@so much to say said...

I love the hymn "Tis Good, Lord, To Be Here." You just have to sing the whole thing: Tis good, Lord, to be here, yet we may not remain. But since you bid us leave the mount, come with us to the plain." I choke up every time I sing it.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, I do not think I have heard that song. I am going to try to find it. Thanks!