Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Rock and My Salvation

"Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.
The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock." - Matthew 7:24-25
Reading the gospel this week reminded me of one of my favorite psalms: God alone is my rock and my salvation, my secure height; I shall not fall. (Psalm 62:3). 
Before I knew God very well, before converting to Catholicism, my life was missing something. I had no sense of safety. I had no feeling of belonging to more than myself.
I do not think it is a coincidence that only after becoming Catholic, only after starting to live a life of prayer, did I face my past and the sexual abuse I had suffered. Until then, I was unable to deal with it. So I didn't.
It was only after I began to feel safe in my life. Safe at home. Safe with my family. Safe with God. Loved by God. Only then did I deal with my pain.
Only then did I see that my God is my rock. My refuge.
Dear Lord, you are my rock, my salvation. Thank you for being my safe place all my life, even when I wasn't aware. May I always listen to your words. May I always build my life on you.
You are my rock, the rock of my salvation. You are my beginning and my end. Praise and glory to you, O Lord. Amen.
image source

6 comments :

Jean Wise said...

A very honest witness today with this post! I will ponder - ROCK - today. Its strengths, endurance and solid foundation. Good image to follow me today, Thanks

Colleen said...

Jean, thank you! God bless!

deodate said...

God is so gentle with us, isn't he - a gentle healer. The idea of a stable, solid rock is so wonderful. We know he is there for us, always.
Andie

Colleen said...

Andie, yes, God is very gentle. Always. God bless.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Your post made me think about Jesus saying that if we had enough faith we could move mountains. Mountains are made of rock. When He worked miracles it was because of people's faith. So can it be that if we have faith, in our need we move the mountain, our God? Our faith is built on the Rock - our Redeemer. Thanks for this post.

Colleen said...

Barb, that was very cool! Thanks!!