Friday, March 25, 2011

A Prayer

Philadelphia.
More accusations of child sexual abuse by priests. More cover up.
Reminds me of another Lent. 2002. Boston. Such a nightmare.
Please, Lord. Not again.
When will it be over?
I feel sick. Then I feel scared. Then I feel angry.
I want to write about it but I can hardly get the words out. So all I can seem to do is to get my thoughts out. One word. Two words.
A prayer.
Jesus, we need your Light. We need your Love. Hold the children in your loving embrace. Hold us all. Heal us. Love us. Give us the strength to do what is right and what is needed. Give us the courage to speak out for survivors of child sexual abuse. Send us shepherds who will care for the lambs and protect them. Bring us all out of the darkness into your Light of truth and love. Lord, bring us hope.
Amen.

8 comments :

Jade said...

A beautiful prayer. Thanks for sharing this... the subject is very difficult, yet important. I will pray for this as well.

Dymphna said...

Amen. We need Jesus now more than ever.

Oh, Lord, I do believe. Help Thou my unbelief.

Mary333 said...

I know that hearing about more cases of child sexual abuse must be very difficult for you, Colleen. The horror of it just seems to go on and on. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I prayed this prayer with you, my friend. Jesus is obviously answering the prayers of many for these things to be brought into the light over and over again. Though we may be shocked at the magnitude of the abuse it shows us that the Lord IS cleaning up the Church and will send TRULY holy priests to shepherd his flock.

Colleen said...

Jade, thank you for your prayers!

Dymphna, yes, we do! Thanks!

Mary, I agree. I was thinking the same thing just today. Thanks so much for your comments - very helpful to me. God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

When I heard about Philadelphia I was horrified and sickened, too. I asked myself, what took Rigali so long to find out? He's been there long enough. With the great damage to the Church from pedophile priests, how could he not have made this a priority? When the story comes out, THEN he suspends all these priests. What is going on? I am confused because I don't know all the facts, but the most important thing to know is that children were hurt. The only recourse is to pray for both the victims and the priests. But a question haunts me - how in the world could so many men from supposedly Catholic families who are sexual deviants been ordained? It is a mark of the disobedience of the 20th century Catholics to Church teaching and tradition. It's right in front of us. Rebellion kills souls and harms the innocent. And many people still don't see it.

Colleen said...

Barb, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings about this. I don't know if we will ever understand. There seems to be no answers, only questions.

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

God have mercy on those who would harm one of His little ones...and may He grant true peace and healing to all victims of sexual abuse.

Colleen said...

Judy, thank you for that prayer. Your words help to heal.