Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Slow Down

Sabbath moments are the moments we rest in God, when we take time to just Be with God rather than Do. Sabbath moments are also those times when we live in the moment and find the holy in the ordinary. I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
Some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. Last weekend I spent time playing with my grandson. We all sat on the floor, rolling a ball back and forth. There is nothing so joyful as hearing a baby's belly laugh. I enjoyed watching him play, stretching for the ball, excited and happy. He never got frustrated. He was focused on that ball and who had it.
I could learn a lot from my 8 month old grandson. I could learn to live in the moment. Focus on the task at hand. Play, have fun, laugh easily.
I need to pay attention.
2. Had a crazy week. Too too busy. Exhausted and stressed. Yesterday - my day off - looked to be more of the same! I just knew I needed to rest. I needed a nap, for heaven's sake!
The message I kept getting was SLOW DOWN! So I decided NOT to attend a parish activity. And I took that nap ... and felt no guilt. And I was able to go to Adoration later. Thank you, Jesus.

8 comments :

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

How can I hear that belly laugh when I close my eyes! You are SO blessed!
I'm glad you followed His promptings and took that needed rest.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

God gave me the slow down message when He gave me fibromyalgia, etc. It's amazing how many things we don't really need to do, isn't it? And the world seems to do just fine without us!

Love the description of your grandson with the ball. Play and laughter are important. These are great blessings from God.

I hope this coming week is less hectic for you.

evanscove said...

Ah, to be able to recover that simple childhood joy and innocence. I haven't had that kind of fun for quite a while. Playing with a little tyke can sure help you appreciate the simplest of pleasures.

And enjoy the nap without the guilt! We need to slow down at times. And Adoration is probably better than a lot of parish activities are anyway. :-)

Evan

Colleen said...

Judy, I know what you mean about that belly laugh! I just never tire of hearing that! The rest did me good. Thanks for visiting!

Barb, I have a feeling my RA is the message I got and have not paid enough attention to! Thanks. I am taking a day off at the end of the week. Just for me.

Evan, amen to all you said about playing with children and going to adoration!! I was thinking the same thing! God bless!

Mary333 said...

Colleen,
I think God was trying to get a similar message across to me this week too. I'm glad you enjoyed playing with your grandson! I really need to learn how to always appreciate moments like that with my own daughter - to get rid of my agendas and just enjoy what's right in front of me.
Great post, Colleen! Thanks for hosting this meme!

Colleen said...

Mary, thanks. I know what you mean. I always struggled with that when my boys were growing up. To drop my list of to-dos and just play with them, be with them. Those are the times I most remember. Not the times I did the laundry or vacuumed.

RAnn said...

It is amazing how happy babies get over the least little thing--they really do show us how to appreciate the joy in life

Colleen said...

RAnn, I agree! We can learn a lot from our children.