Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sabbath Moments/Sabbath Time

Sabbath moments are the moments we rest in God, when we take time to just Be with God rather than Do. Sabbath moments are also those times when we live in the moment and find the holy in the ordinary. I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
Some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. Received a wonderful email from one of my sons telling me about some childhood memories he had that day and he just wanted to share with me. As an incest survivor, one of my greatest hopes for my children and for myself as their mother was that they would have a great childhood. I hoped they would be filled with great memories of fun and play and knowing they were loved. When my now adult children share a happy memory with me, my heart just sings! The fact that this came at a time when my own memories were threatening to depress me (as they do off and on), made his message even more of a blessing. It was as if the Lord was saying - See? I can bring good come out of bad. Your children have had a happy life and they know they are loved.
2. Took a day off. No reason, other than I was tired and knew I needed some time off. I got some rest; some extra prayer time and reading time. Sabbath time.
3. The book I chose to read for Lent is really feeding my soul: Pilgrim Road, A Benedictine Journey Through Lent. Written like a daily journal, the author, Fr. Albert Holtz, OSB, writes each day about his travels, then a reflection, scripture and a quote from the Rule of Benedict. It is perfect for me right now.
What are some of your Sabbath moments this week?

5 comments :

Barbara A. Schoeneberger said...

I am so glad you are making a Benedictine journey through Lent. When I became a Benedictine oblate I felt like I had somehow come "home".

It strikes me that in loving your children and being a good mother, you are giving future generations true light and love they will carry forward. The evil done by your father dies with him. That is God's grace.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Something seems to be wrong with Mr. Linky.

Colleen said...

Barb, I too had that same feeling of coming home when I became a Benedictine oblate. Thank you for your comment about my mothering and future generations. Yes, I broke the chain of abuse. I am very relieved and grateful.

Mary333 said...

Your children are blessed to have a mother like you, Colleen! It's sweet that your son sends you emails like this :)

I'm sorry about not joining you this week for the meme. Michaela is feeling better but she decided to share the wealth and passed it on to me :(

Colleen said...

Mary, Hope you feel better soon! Prayers and hugs! (yes, that was sweet wasn't it? :)