Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thoughts on Repentance

Sometimes it is the little everyday things we need to repent.
On my way to work one day last week, I drove to a drive up window at a fast food restaurant to get an ice coffee. I was behind a van and the driver seemed to be taking a long time placing their order.
I fussed and fidgeted, wishing they would hurry up. I became quite impatient as it seemed they took a long time to pay for their order as well.
I was becoming quite grumpy over the whole thing.
Finally, it was my turn and I drove up to the window to pay. The woman at the window told me that the people in the car in front of me had paid for me. You could have knocked me over with a feather!
It seems that a local Christian radio station was encouraging people to make a difference in people's lives by participating in the "Drive Through Difference." You pay for the car behind you and give them a letter that explained it. Part of the letter said - "You don't know me, but I've just paid for your order. No gimmicks. It's just something I felt like doing... It's a way of encouraging people..."
Well, didn't I feel lousy. All that grumbling and this person was doing something so nice for me.
I had to repent. And I did. I prayed and said I was sorry.
I repent, Lord.
Did it make a difference in my day? You betcha!
Thank you Lord, for reminding me that I am not the only person in this universe, The planets do not all revolve around me. A little kindness and patience was needed today and I fell a little short. I feel a bit humbled by it, but it was a good lesson for me. Thank you for your patience and mercy and love. Amen.

12 comments :

rox said...

Wow Colleen ! That is such a wonderful story ☺
how wonderful an idea too .so easy and affordable to at least buy someone a cup of coffee .
I too have had the meditation this week on to cleanse myself out to make room for Him to fill me . To get the stuff out and become renewed .
Isn't it good though we remember and do it ! we have to in order to move on and not remain stuck.☺

I might try that when we go to starbucks this week.
Thanks a bunch for this Colleen !

Colleen said...

You are so welcome, rox! Good idea to try it wherever we go!

Jade said...

This is a wonderful story, which has inspired me to repent today as well. Some might have made excuses for their impatience or anger... I admire your humble attitude and love for Jesus.
Thanks for this...It has helped me.

Jean Wise said...

wow what a story. yes, yes it is the little things that trip me up on a daily basis. So many lessons surround us if we would just learn. Thanks for the great reminder, Colleen

Mary333 said...

What a great story, Colleen, and what a sweet thing for someone to do for a stranger! We all fall short in the area of patience sometimes and the blessing is that not only did you get a little life lesson but the Lord even gave you a cup of coffee to enjoy with it ;) You were doubly blessed! But... how come I don't get coffee with my life lessons? Lol!

Colleen said...

Jade, thanks so much! Your kind words are appreciated. I have found that the more I trust in God's mercy, the easier it is to admit to my faults and sins.

Jean, you are welcome. I am not perfect and I will continue to trip up, but it is good to be aware of it I think. Humbling.

Mary, I don't know!! But you are right, God has blessed me! :)

Daily Grace said...

Wow! What a blessing and what a teachable moment for all of us!

I love this Colleen!

Colleen said...

Daily Grace, we never stop learning do we? God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

A great lesson! I am an impatient person and have been working hard not to get grumpy when things don't go as fast as I'd like. I fail a lot, but I'm working on it.

Colleen said...

Barb, me too!! I agree, it is hard. But we are trying eh?

RAnn said...

Sometimes it is the little things that get you....

Colleen said...

RAnn, oh so true!! Thank you!