Friday, April 29, 2011

Let Us Not Forget the Children

April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. Today we traveled to our diocesan cathedral for a Mass for all victims of child abuse. 
The Mass was beautiful. Our Bishop's homily was wonderful. The music was moving and the prayer said by all at the end was powerful. But....
The attendance was terrible. Maybe 40?
Is it apathy? I don't know. All I know is that I was terribly disappointed.
What really bothers me is that this is the reason why child sexual abuse is able to happen in the first place. So many people looking the other way.
I know that most people do not want child sexual abuse to happen. But that means we have to step out there and do what we can to stop it. Certainly attending a beautiful Mass celebrated by our Bishop is not too difficult?
There are still children being abused in all walks of life, in all areas of society. And they are wandering around like I did when I was a child. Alone. Scared. In pain. Confused. Hating themselves. And thinking it is all their fault.
Please. Pray for all victims of child abuse.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Photobucket

2 comments :

Mary333 said...

The prayer you have linked here is beautiful, Colleen. I don't know why the attendance would be so poor - we have all seen the damage this causes and most people are horrified by child abuse. Maybe it IS apathy, Colleen. There seems to be a lot of that in the world today. Or perhaps people are just overwhelmed.

The quote at the end says it all.

Colleen said...

Thank you Mary. That quote kept going through my head all day. That is why I knew I needed to write this. God bless!