Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Storms, Sunrise and Chant

Sabbath moments are the moments we rest in God, when we take time to just Be with God rather than Do. Sabbath moments are also those times when we live in the moment and find the holy in the ordinary. I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
1. God so often gives me Sabbath moments through nature. The other morning, as I got into my car to go to work, I saw this huge red ball in the sky ahead of me. It seemed close enough to the earth to light the trees on fire! In fact it almost seemed close enough for me to touch. Instead of hurrying off to work like I would normally do, I stopped and paused and watched the sun rise for a few minutes. And then I sang my praises to God on my drive into a new day.
2. One day we were getting warnings of a terrible storm headed our way. Having lived in Florida for over 32 years, I didn't get too excited. As we head into warmer weather, we will soon be getting thunderstorms almost every day. That is Florida. I am used to it. Rain finally came hours later than expected and nothing too frightening or noisy. But I enjoyed hearing the rain on the roof and I felt warm and dry and cozy inside my home.
3. Took some time this week after dinner to spend some alone time in the bedroom and listen to some Gregorian chant and pray. Really was a beautiful time for me and the Lord.
How was your week? Did you find some Sabbath moments?

8 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

The sound of rain on the roof is one of my favorites - sleet on the windows, too. Finding God in the ordinary is a habit of connectedness to Him. We are so lucky to have the grace to do this.

I wish I could have seen the great red sun and snapped a photo of it. Your description makes me feel as if I am there with you.

Jade said...

Reading this post relaxed me and made me want to spend more time in quiet prayer & song today. :) I also sense God deeply in nature.

evanscove said...

Apparently you're able to find beauty in just about everything. So "rainy days and Mondays" don't get you down! :-)

Thankfully, we don't get frequent thunderstorms like Florida does, though I'll agree that the falling rain can be soothing.

I haven't seen a sunrise in quite a while, but stopping to enjoy one is probably a great way to start the day. If I could just get up early enough...

Evan

Jean Wise said...

I really like the idea of taking time away and listening to chants. I have had a very crazy week so think I will do just that. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

These are such beautiful Sabbath Moments Colleen! I'm so glad you treated yourself to some time with God in your room...that sounds so cozy. I saw my brother, from FL, today...and he was telling me that there is awful problems with the drinking water there. Is this so in your area too? We have a well...so I don't drink city water...but what he described sounded ICKY.

Colleen said...

Barb, yes we are lucky!! I am grateful beyond measure. Wish I could have taken a picture too but camera not with me!!

Jade - that is so nice! Glad my post led you to some quiet time.

Evan, Mondays get me down!! But not rain, usually. :)

Jean, you are welcome! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Judy, no problem with drinking water in my area in the sense of health or taste. But in the sense of water shortage - yes! This time of year is the dry season. The rain this week was unusual. I used to have a well and we really got nervous in the dry season.

Debra said...

I especially love coming home in the mornings after a long night at work and being greeted by the sounds of all the little birds chirping in the trees! What a blessing!

Colleen said...

Debra, I agree! It is a blessing! Music!