Sunday, May 15, 2011

Called by Name

"The gatekeeper opens it for him, and the sheep hear his voice, as he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
When he has driven out all his own, he walks ahead of them, and the sheep follow him, because they recognize his voice." - John 10:3-4
He calls his own sheep by name.
Have I ever heard that call? Have I heard Him speak my name?
This makes me think of Mary Magdalene when she did not recognize Jesus after His resurrection until He called her by name. "Mary."
The sheep follow him, because they recognize his voice.
Sometimes we recognize Jesus' voice through others' words, written or verbal. 
Sometimes we recognize Jesus in the silence of our hearts. Or in another person. Or in nature. Or in scripture.
But in order to recognize Jesus, we need to listen. We need to be still and listen and pay attention to the world and people around us.
Jesus, thank you for being my shepherd. Thank you for calling me and calling me until I finally hear your voice. Thank you for promising to be with me always. Help me to pay attention. Help me to recognize you. May I always follow you and hear your voice. Amen.
image source
Photobucket

16 comments :

Debra said...

Your prayer is my prayer as well. Oh how I need to be still and listen! Beautifully written Colleen!

Karinann said...

Another beautiful and prayerful reflection,Colleen. I like how you linked Mary Magdalen recognizing Jesus through his voice calling her by name and we as His sheep also being called by Him and recognizing Him. There is so much in this world to distract us from hearing Him. As you have said here, we need to be still and listen.

Anne said...

Beautiful prayer Colleen. Thank you for all that you do to help others to hear the voice of the Shepherd.

Colleen said...

Debra, thank you so much! Thanks for visiting!

Karinann, thanks so much! Glad you liked my reflection. Amen about your comment about distractions. Hugs and blessings.

Anne, thank you for your kind words. I hope I do help others hear His voice. God bless!

noreen said...

Beautifully written Colleen. We always need to be reminded of this because we live in a noisy busy society where it can be a challenge to slow down and seek stillness with Jesus.

Colleen said...

Noreen, thank you! I agree it is a challenge. I crave silence sometimes. God bless!

Mary333 said...

I never thought of that, Colleen! You're right, Mary Magdalen didn't recognize Him till He said her name! Great post and I love the prayer :)

Colleen said...

Mary, thanks so much. The prayer was from the heart. God bless.

Jean Wise said...

Beautiful and inspirational reflection, Colleen. Don't you just love the intimacy of how well God knows us and how our hearts leap when we quiet ourselves enough to hear His voice!

Colleen said...

Jean, Amen! Thanks so much.

Mary333 said...

Colleen,
Barb started a blog tag called "Three favorite scriptures" and I tagged you :) Only if you have the time, of course.

Colleen said...

Thanks Mary!

RAnn said...

and sometimes He speaks to us via other bloggers...thanks

Colleen said...

RAnn, thank you! God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

This is such a beautiful post. Studies show that we can build better relationships if we remember to call people by name. Jesus wants a close relationship with each of us. It is so comforting to know that He calls us by name and never forgets us. Now we must call Him by name in turn.

Colleen said...

Barb, amen! Beautiful comment and I so agree!