Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Three Favorite Scripture Verses

Mary at The Beautiful Gate tagged me on a blog tag called Three Favorite Scripture Verses.
Here are the rules:
1.Write a post on your three favorite verses from the Bible and why you like them.
2. Link back to this post.
3. In your post tag three other bloggers to carry this theme forward, link to you and tag additional bloggers.
As usual, I did not follow the rules by tagging anyone but instead, I invite all who read this to join in if you wish!
I had a hard time picking my 3 favorites. I have so many! Here are my top 3 (I think)!

1. I am with you always, until the end of the age. Matthew 28:20
This is my absolutely favorite scripture verse no matter what is going on in my life. Knowing that Jesus will never leave me and is always with me gives me tremendous comfort and helps me to trust in His love and care. Whenever I am tempted to think that Jesus is not with me, this verse reminds me that He is.

2. For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope. Jeremiah 29:11
This verse gives me hope. No matter how down I may feel, or depressed or scared, I read this verse and I feel better and more hopeful.

3. We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19
There are two meanings to this verse for me. One - we don't have to love God in order for God to love us. God is love (verse 8) and He loves us whether or not we pay any attention to him and whether or not we sin and whether or not we love him. God loved us before we were born.
Two - We know how to love others and we know how to love God because God first loved us and has taught us about love. The real kind of love. As an incest survivor, I used to wonder how I was able to learn to love anyone. Then I read this verse and I understood. I learned to love because God taught me about love, by loving me.
I am able to love, because God first loved me.
Photobucket

14 comments :

Karinann said...

Great choices, Colleen. I had a hard time choosing just three as well. No surprise, we both picked one in common :) The Jeremiah passage. Thanks for sharing yours.
Hugs & Blessings!

Mary333 said...

Colleen,
These scripture verses are very beautiful and I loved your explanation of why you chose them. I almost chose the same verse from Jeremiah - I love that one. My mom wrote that verse for me on a piece of paper years before my conversion and every time I was sad and disheartened I would take that paper out of my jewelry box and read it. It got me through some very rough years. I still have this paper over 20 years later! Like you, it gives me hope!

I agree that the first verse you chose is one of the most consoling verses in the Bible. What more could we ask for than knowing that Jesus is always with us? Loved your words here!

I saw your comment over at my site and I agree - it was a very easy and beautiful meme (blog tag? whatever! I don't know the difference.Lol) to do. Some are so difficult that I don't know where to start, especially the ones where I have to tag like 15 people - this is tough when you type with one finger and are computer illiterate :) Barb did a wonderful job on this one! Thanks for joining in!

munchesmom said...

What a great meme & your verse choices are great, too! I decided to do this also: http://threeblessingsacademy.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-three-favorite-bible-verses.html

Colleen said...

Karinann, you are right - I am not surprised we picked one in common. I am going to go check out your list!! Hugs!

Mary, glad you liked my list. A lot of us like that one from Jeremiah. It says so much. I do not know the difference between blog tag and meme either. Maybe there is NO difference!!

munchesmom, thank you for joining us!! I am going to go check out your list!! God bless!

smkelly8 said...

Its a great idea and so hard to choose. It's good to think about.

Anne said...

Wonderful and uplifting choices Colleen!

Colleen said...

Anne, thanks so much! God bless!

Kathleen@so much to say said...

Oooh, I like this idea. The first one that comes to my mind is Psalm 40: Here I am, I come to do your will. And of course, Ps. 139 is a no-brainer. I'll have to think further, though; those are the two that stand out.

Carol@simple_catholic said...

I love the scriptures you mentioned, especially Jeremiah.

One of my favorites is a well-known verse: John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that He have His only begotten Son so that anyone who believes in Him may not perish but have eternal life."

Colleen said...

Kathleen, oh I love Psalm 139 too! Gee, it is hard to keep the list down to 3! Thanks for joining us!

Carol, thank you for joining us. I love John 3:16 too.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Colleen, I'm so glad you posted the Jeremiah verse. I need to copy it and paste it on the bathroom mirror lol! It's perfect for us anxiety prone persons.

Colleen said...

Barb, I agree! :)

smkelly8 said...

I'm starting a meme on favorite Christian authors.

Who are yours? Please share at http://conjecturesguilty.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/favorite-christian-writers-of-fiction/

smkelly8 said...

I did come up with three verses which are here http://conjecturesguilty.wordpress.com/2011/05/20/favorite-scripture-verses/