Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sabbath Moments - God's Peace

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time, just "being" instead of "doing". Sabbath time is time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature.
The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
Here are some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. I stopped by the little lake in my park yesterday and sat there for a few minutes. There was no wildlife that I could see but there was a slight breeze, causing little ripples in the water. In just a few seconds I could feel myself relax, feeling God's peace.
2. An hour of Adoration at 1 am in the morning was just what I needed to feel closer to Jesus. What a blessing!
3. Last week I listened to Gregorian Chant. I did the same this week but also some Taize music and prayer from France. Very peaceful and restful. A beautiful sabbath moment.
Blessings to all! Praying that you have many sabbath moments this week!
Photobucket

12 comments :

Mary333 said...

I didn't know sabbath comes from a word meaning cease. I read that last week and was thinking how aptly named this meme is.

I love sitting near water, there's something so peaceful and relaxing about the beauty of nature. God's sedative for the stressed out I guess we could say!

Do you go to adoration in the middle of the night every week? I've seen you write about this before and was wondering if it was a set time.

God bless you, Colleen!

evanscove said...

Enjoying nature is one of the best "sabbaths" you can have. As Mary said, being near water tends to be quite soothing. And Eucharistic adoration is one of the best spiritual exercises we can perform. Great ways to recharge yourself!

Evan

Colleen said...

Mary, interesting about sabbath meaning cease huh? But it makes sense considering God rested on the 7th day.
I go to adoration every other week at 1 or 2 am. It is a beautiful time to go. Very peaceful and quiet. Thanks for joining me in this meme!

Colleen said...

Evan, Amen! And I do FEEL recharged. By the way, I think I was visiting your blog while you visited mine! God bless!

Jade said...

Taize makes delightful music. I really enjoy listening to it and sometimes singing along.

I didn't know where the word "sabbath" came from either. It makes sense though.

Nature has a very wonderful way of relaxing us...I think walking or sitting in nature with God can be a cure for a lot of worries and stress.

:)

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I didn't know that "sabbath" comes from the Hebrew for "cease" either. It really adds another dimension to Sundays, doesn't it?

Ah, sitting by a lake or pond and just enjoying the breeze is one of the most restful things we can do. I used to like to pray the rosary walking along a forest path or sitting in a park by water. God seems so near in nature.

Colleen said...

Jade, sabbath comes from the Hebrew word Shabbat which means to cease. Cool huh? Nature is one of those places I see God so often.

Barb, Amen! I agree with you, too! Thanks for joining me every week!

Kathleen@so much to say said...

I haven't taken time to "cease" in nature in far too long. Maybe this is a call...

Colleen said...

Kathleen, ahhh. Maybe so... :)

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

So sorry that I had to miss this meme this past weekend.
Your late night hour with Jesus sounds heavenly! And I must explore this form of music...I keep hearing about it and it must be very beautiful.

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

So sorry that I had to miss this meme this past weekend.
Your late night hour with Jesus sounds heavenly! And I must explore this form of music...I keep hearing about it and it must be very beautiful.

Colleen said...

Judy, you might want to check out the website on Taize. I just found it and I am enjoying the music and stories and history of how it all began. I do not know a lot about it but I love the prayers and music.