Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Restful Times

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time, just "being" instead of "doing". Sabbath time is time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature.
Sabbath moments can be planned and they can come up spontaneously, like rounding a corner in the road and seeing a gorgeous rainbow. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
Here are some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. Took some quiet time for spiritual reading and reflecting Friday morning. This silent time with the Lord is one of my favorite kinds of sabbath moments!
2. Very tired this week. Stayed in bed longer on Friday morning. I was feeling cozy and thankful for days off and for this silent restful time with God.
3. Prayed with the Pray as you go podcast on my iphone. Ever tried it? You can go on the website and listen to it on your computer.
4. Listening to some Gregorian Chant always makes me feel closer to God. A sabbath moment to be sure!
Photobucket

5 comments :

Mary333 said...

Hi Colleen,
I hope you are feeling a little better this morning. Does the pain from the RA affect your sleep and energy levels a lot?
I love reading too, Colleen :) I don't know what I would do without my books and my Kindle. The e-books are very reasonably priced so I find that I am saving a lot on books. I know that you have a Nook and like reading e-books a lot too!
God bless you, Colleen! Thanks for hosting this meme!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Sometimes our bodies need more sleep and rest. It's good you had the time off and got to do spiritual reading and listen to chant. I believe that Gregorian chant chases the devil away and brings peace in our hearts. Wouldn't it be great if chant were piped into all the shopping malls of America? Imagine what that might do!

evanscove said...

I hope you're well rested now. Like Barb said, sometimes that what we need most, so you certainly experienced a "sabbath moment" by giving your body the sleep it needed.

What spiritual reading are you doing these days? :-)

Evan

Jade said...

Pray as you go is great!
I used to listen to it everyday, now I listen to it more sporadically but still love it.
I also love Gregorian chant music and find it to be healing and cleansing.

Colleen said...

Mary, the RA pain does not affect my sleep, praise God. When I am in a flare, I am bothered by fatigue and I actually sleep more. I have very little energy most of the time.
I like the savings on the ebooks too!

Barb, that is a great idea! I certainly feel peace when I listen to Gregorian chant. Thanks Barb.

Evan, I am re-reading Merton and Philip Yancey's What Good is God? Just started that book.

Jade, I agree with you! Thanks.