Sunday, June 5, 2011

Faith and Doubt

"When they saw him, they worshiped, but they doubted." - Matthew 28:17

I have read this gospel reading many times, but I do not remember reading these words - When they saw him, they worshiped, but they doubted.
Goodness gracious, Jesus was right in front of them. How could the apostles have doubted?
But there are the words as clear as can be - they worshiped, but they doubted. It was as if they could not make up their minds.
I have to say that it makes me feel better to know that the apostles who gazed upon the face of Jesus doubted sometimes. Surely if they doubted, then the times I have doubted are OK too. 
In fact, I think that having doubts is just a normal part of the spiritual journey. In our quest for answers, our faith deepens. And so does our trust. 
"Dear Lord, help me to doubt less and believe more. Help me to grow in faith and trust that you are always with me, as you promised. Thank you, Lord for your gift of faith."

Photobucket

19 comments :

Karinann said...

Colleen,
I find this and the other readings related to the Apostles' post-Resurrection encounters with Jesus very consoling as well. I pray this line of Scripture very often: I believe Lord, help my unbelief.
Thanks for the reflection and God bless!

Jean Wise said...

Great point today, Colleen. Yes faith deepens and trust deepens. I used to feel guilty that I didn't trust more. Now I think it is all part of the journey and a gradual process. Thanks for the thought provoking post.

Mary333 said...

I guess this is why we need the Holy Spirit's help. Our own faith isn't strong enough so we need the faith of God himself :)

Colleen said...

Karinann, I love that line of scripture that you mentioned here. I say it often as well. God bless!

Jean, thank you. I used to feel guilty too. Glad you liked the post.

Mary, Amen! Great thought to ponder! Thanks!

Just Be Real said...

Colleen, what a wonderful post and prayer. Thank you. I needed to read this today. Blessings.

Colleen said...

JBR, thank you! Glad this helped you. Hugs.

conjecturesguilty said...

You're a wise woman Colleen.

Colleen said...

conjecturesguilty, I do not know what to say to that except thank you. God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Doubt makes me look into something deeper. Grace makes me understand and accept. Like Karinann, I pray often, "Lord, I believe. Help Thou my unbelief." It is very consoling.

Colleen said...

Barb, I love your comment. You put it so well! Thanks!

Anne said...

How comforting to know that I am not alone in my doubts. Ditto Barb's comment.

Colleen said...

Anne, I so agree with you. Thanks for visiting!

Kathleen@so much to say said...

I think there are worlds of insight waiting for me in that line. I've only just begun to unwrap them.

kkollwitz said...

Faith is the Handmaid of Doubt. I figure if you have no doubts then you aren't taking your faith seriously enough.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, I agree! What a blessing eh?

Kkollwitz, amen! Thanks!

noreen said...

Hi Colleen, That is a wonderful reminder that even his apostles doubted while they were with him. It just shows how well God knew us, we need the Holy Spirit to give us strength!

I too, Like Karinann's comment on praying to our Lord to help our unbelief. God Bless!

Colleen said...

Noreen, thank you for stopping by! I find that reassuring too. He knew just what we needed and He gave it to us. He always does, but we don't always notice.

Jamey said...

Thought provoking...and I enjoyed reading all the comments on this.

Colleen said...

Jamey, thanks so much. I enjoyed the comments too. I just read them all again!!