Sunday, June 19, 2011

God So Loves the World

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might have eternal life." - John 3:16
For God so loved the world.
How often do I sit there and really ponder these words? I have heard this scripture verse hundreds of times. I love these words. But have I really absorbed them into my heart?
God loves us so much that He wants us with Him. Always. Eternally.
And His children were not really getting it. So He sent His only Son, Jesus, who suffered and died for us so we can live with God. Eternally.
God loves us so much that he never tires of finding ways to tell us and show us. God loves us so much that He never gives up on us and He forgives us over and over. And He waits for us to come home.
God loves us so much that He gives us free will so we can reject Him if we wish to do so.
And God help us, some of His children are still not getting it.
So we need to tell our sisters and brothers the Good News. We need to sing it out from the mountaintop. We need to use our voices and blogs and pulpits to tell all God's children that God, our loving Father, wants us all home with Him. 
All of us.
Loving Father, I thank you for your love. I live these days with one foot on earth and one foot in heaven ... loving my life, and yet longing for those days I can gaze upon your face. Until then, Lord, help me to always know in my heart, how much you love me. And how much you also love those who do not love you or do not know you. Help me, Lord, to bring them your love. Amen.

Photobucket

13 comments :

Jade said...

The love of God is probably one of the most talked about subjects for Christians, but can be one of the hardest to truly absorb and act from. I know what you mean about the difference between hearing words and really letting them enter your heart.

This post is a great reminder of what's truly important...thanks :) I prayed along with you.

Colleen said...

Jade, often we tell others God loves them but do not believe it is true for ourselves. I don't think we can be reminded of this enough. Thanks!

Jean Wise said...

Wonderful reminded. I liked the comments you and Jade also shared. I don't think we fully believe it ourselves or we would be shouting it from the rooftops and sharing the good news. mmm, how often do I really live from that place in my heart? need to ponder this.

Colleen said...

Jean, I know exactly what you mean. We say it over and over but it doesn't seem to stick.
Comments like your's and Jade's just add to the blog post and everyone's experience. Thank you!

Momof4 said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!


www.breakformom.com

Colleen said...

Momof4 - thank you for your comment and for your visit! God bless!

Kathleen@so much to say said...

I think Jade's nailed it. I have trouble internalizing the most commonly-touted phrases in Christianity, probably because the words are so familiar that it makes them hard to hear as anything but well-worn. Maybe someday I'll figure out a way around that. Until then, I have to trust that doing my best to live them will be good enough.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Thanks for this beautiful prayer.

Holly@A Life-Size Catholic Blog said...

It’s hard to imagine loving without hang-ups, expectation, worry, and a host of other things we deal with, and He doesn’t. We just have to get out of our own way, don’t we? I came over from Sunday Snippets.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, I know what you are saying and that is something to ponder in itself. That is why in my writing and talks, I find that I always feel a need to include a talk on God's love, but presented in a different way to get people's attention.

Holly, yes! So true! That is close to something Mother Teresa once said. We need to get out of God's way and let him do his work in us!

Colleen said...

Thank you, Barb! Glad you liked it!

colleen said...

Great reflection, Colleen. I think I just had a Sabbath Moment reading this. :)

Colleen said...

Hi Colleen! Thank you very much. I am so glad you see this as a sabbath moment! God bless!