Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Rainbows

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
Here are some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. One night my husband was at church and he called me at home to tell me to look out the window. I looked outside and saw a beautiful rainbow. I love rainbows and I love that my husband called me about it. He later told me that when he drove home, he drove over the bridge and the rainbow was like an arch over the bridge and he felt like he was driving right under it.
The next night, I was driving home from work and I drove over the same bridge and there was another rainbow, arching over the bridge! Do God-incidences count for Sabbath moments? Well, certainly rainbows do.
2. Went with Rich to the beach to watch the sunset. Ended up being more clouds than sunset but beautiful and peaceful anyway. Watched the pelicans dive-bomb for their food and children playing. And walked barefoot in the water which was as warm as bathwater! And we had ice cream. A fun relaxing time.
Photobucket

8 comments :

Jean Wise said...

Thank you for sharing God's artistic views with us this week. I too love rainbows and clouds. Even the very act of looking up raises the spirit and gives me hope.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

The sight of rainbows always excites me. Thanks for those lovely pictures. I'm jealous over the sandy beach and warm ocean water. Your description is just as I imagined the experience would be. The kind and loving things our spouses do for us as your husband did in calling you about the rainbow are surely Sabbath Moments.

Joan said...

Rainbows and the beach, two of my favorite things!! I grew up near a wonderful beach but now live inland and have to "make do" with rainbows. Great memories of walking the beach and hearing the roar of the waves and the seagulls, there is nothing quite like it. :) I hope you will enjoy the video I posted this week for a few minutes of musical repose.

Colleen said...

Jean, I like how you put that - "the act of looking up gives me hope." Amen!

Barb, yes, our husbands give us many sabbath moments eh? I feel blessed.

Joan, I can tell you "get " what I mean when I talk so lovingly and longingly about the beach. Thanks for joining me in this meme!

mary333 said...

Of course God-incidences count as Sabbath Moments! I love it when the Lord does stuff like this! The pictures were beautiful, Colleen.

Your time at the beach sounds wonderful, too. We are going to the beach in a week and I am looking forward to walking in the water. Of course, I won't be able to feel my feet after (You know how cold the water is up here!) but I still love to do it. Now, pelicans dive-bombing for food I'd really like to see!! We only have seagulls doing that around here :)

Colleen said...

Mary, pelicans dive bombing for food is really fun to watch. They really dive, with their huge beaks (or whatever you call them) aimed for the water. And yet they glide so smoothly when they come back up. Cool.
Have a great time at the beach! I do remember how cold the water is there! Feet go numb pretty quickly! God bless!

Holly@A Life-Size Catholic Blog said...

This is a wonderful idea. I'll have to keep it in mind for Saturday's in the future. Your photos are beautiful!

Colleen said...

Holly, thank you! I just took them with my phone but they turned out OK. Hope you join us! God bless.