Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Rest and Reflect

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time, just "being" instead of "doing". Sabbath time is time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
Here are some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. Read a reflection from Upper Room Reflections and it mentioned a poem by Wendell Berry who writes about the "peace of wild things." He says that when your soul is disturbed you should -
"Sit beside a stream where herons feed."
"Go dwell where squirrels run."
The "peace of wild things." Beautiful. I must be looking for peace a lot lately. :)
2. Memorial Day weekend was such a quiet, restful weekend. I did not do much other than write, pray, read, watch TV, listen to music, laugh with my husband. It was a long weekend of Sabbath Moments and gave me some rest that I really needed. I really felt refreshed!
Photobucket

7 comments :

Sue Elvis said...

Hi Colleen,
I have come across Wendell Berry three times in the last 24 hours! I'd never heard of him before and then 3 blogs I follow, mentioned him. I think Amazon have a free Kindle book of his available at the moment - some essays - "Art of the Commonplace". Unfortunately the ebook is not available to Australian buyers (like me) - I wonder why not - but US readers might like to download it.

evanscove said...

Not familiar with Wendell Berry. Maybe I'll check him out...

Memorial Day was probably a "sabbath" for most of us too. :-)

Evan

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Nature is restful when peaceful - a great escape for a tense mind. I used to go to Forest Park to the zoo in St. Louis and after seeing the animals I would rest by one of the lakes.

These days, my withdrawal from the world is through Asian art films and Korean drama. The missionary in me gets all worked up because I think, "How can we bring Christ to them in a way they can respond?" Then I pray that all Asia will be converted. If I think about what our government is doing against human dignity I feel far too anxious.

Other ways I withdraw is by meditating on the sacred liturgy or pulling weeds in the garden.

Mary333 said...

Hi Colleen! I read the link and enjoyed the reflection at Upper Room. Gazing at the beauty of the world around us is a great stress reliever. I love watching the antics of squirrels - they crack me up.
I'm glad you had a peaceful Memorial Day weekend :) We celebrated some birthdays (my dad and my sister) and had a barbeque. It was a great weekend!

Mary333 said...

Ooh! I just read Sue's comment about a free Kindle book of his available! I just love those e-readers!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Your quiet weekend with God and Rich sounds lovely:) So glad you are rested. I LOVE the "peace of wild things" although I had never coined the phrase that way before. Thanks for hosting!

Colleen said...

Sue, I found it and downloaded it. Thanks for the tip! Amazing that you have heard his name 3 times in past 24 hours! God is trying to tell you something!

Evan, yes, you are right about Memorial Day!

Barb, thanks for sharing your ways of finding peace.

Mary, glad you enjoyed that reflection. Squirrels crack me up too! I downloaded that book! Are you going to?

Judy, I have never heard that phrase coined like that either! God bless!