Thursday, July 28, 2011

For Those Who Never Sing

Alas for those who never sing, but die with their music within them. – Oliver Wendell Holmes
I read this quote the other day and my heart broke. Tears came to my eyes as I thought about the music that many of us carry within us and never sing.
I thought of myself and other survivors of child sexual abuse. So many of us never sing. Never.
Child sexual abuse causes a kind of soul death, a slow dying deep inside. I know survivors who have never sung their song. I know their pain and I see it in their faces. I fear that my sister may be one of these people. She suffers too much.
Victims of child sexual abuse have no power. They have a song to sing and no one to listen to them.
Will anyone stand up for the children?
Photobucket
This post inspired by yet another story of yet another bishop who failed to protect his lambs. Check out this US Catholic story.

4 comments :

Karinann said...

Colleen,
I have seen what you speak of first hand. Many of the people who come through Rachel's Vineyard are also victims of sexual abuse and/or child abuse. While the Rachel's Vineyard retreat may be a good start to their overall healing from their wounds of abortion, it is recommended that they at some point make a From Grief to Grace retreat to deal with the abuse issues.
Thank you for singing on behalf of those who cannot. My prayers for them and your sister and for your own continued healing.
Thank you and God bless.

Colleen said...

Karinann, thank you for your prayers and supportive words. I had heard that about Rachel's Vineyard - that many women who get abortions have suffered abuse. I am hoping to make that Grief to Grace retreat myself sometime because I would like to help out with it like you do with Rachel's Vineyard. In fact, I have signed up to volunteer but they are not in my diocese yet. They have put my book on their reading list, too.
Thanks Karinann.

noreen said...

Hi Colleen, child abuse is such a rampant evil of our day. When a child is abused at such a young and tender age, they're trust in adults wanes... especially if it's a close relative or friend of the family. Who can the child trust?

Thank you for reminding me to include the victims of child abuse in my prayers. I focus so much on abortion and the souls in purgatory during prayer but these innocents are equally as important.

Blessings!

Colleen said...

Noreen, thank you so much! Adding victims of child abuse to your prayers is such a wonderful thing to do! You made my day! God bless!