Sunday, July 10, 2011

God Changes Hearts

"...some seed fell on rich soil, and produced fruit, a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold. Whoever has ears ought to hear." - Matthew 13:8-9
God’s love is infinite and abundant. He does not hold back his gifts and his love.
But we do.
The soil of my heart had some pretty rocky ground when I first started attending a Catholic church with my husband. I really did not want to be there but yet I did. I thought it would be good if we all went as a family. I wanted to be there for my husband and my sons.
But I did not enjoy it nor did I intend to enjoy it. I just went. I sat. Like a rock.
Still ...  I did it out of love for my family. And maybe that love in my heart started to grow some roots and rich soil as I attended Mass there week after week, listening to the Word. And watching the consecration that had caught my attention.
One day, everything changed. I had been listening to the Word of God for months. The seeds must have taken root. In the middle of Mass, the thought came to me. It was time to make a commitment.
One year later, I became a Catholic.
God is generous. God is patient. God is love.
And God changed the soil of my heart from rocky to rich.
Thank you Lord, for your generous and loving heart. Thank you for bringing me closer to you. Please work through me to bring others closer to you. Change our rocky hearts into hearts that bear fruit. – Amen.
Photobucket

20 comments :

Sue Elvis said...

Colleen, I have been musing similar thoughts. Yes, God softened my rocky heart too.I love you post. And your comment on my blog. Good to share. God bless!

Karinann said...

Colleen,
Thank you for sharing this part of your conversion with us. God is so amazingly patient and will do so much with whatever we are able to give Him at any given moment.
Hugs & and God bless!

Colleen said...

Sue, yes, I think we have been on similar wavelengths. Thanks for your visit and for sharing as well.

Karinann, yes, God is so patient with us. Hugs and blessings to you!

Jean Wise said...

This post fills me with hope. I have had recently some interaction with a sad, lonely lady who is not a believer. Been praying for her and after reading your post today the Lord nudges me to continue to surround her in prayer. Thanks Colleen. You have encouraged me.

Colleen said...

Jean, thank you so much for your comment. I am grateful to know my post was able to give you encouragement. Nothing is impossible with God. I pray too that God changes the heart of the lady you mention.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

This is a great post. You should consider putting it on the Catholic Community Blog.

God bless.

Colleen said...

Victor
Thank you. Good suggestion. I will do that. God bless.

Daily Grace said...

This is a beautiful reflection on how God works in our lives Colleen. He always has a plan for us even when we don't see it. He knew what fertile ground you were!

God bless,

Daily Grace

Colleen said...

Daily Grace, thank you. I have to remember that God is always working in my life even when I am not aware. Looking back like this helps.

evanscove said...

I drifted from God when I was about 24, and for several years I was a blaspheming agnostic. I thought I could never return to Christianity. But God had not given up on me--and here I am, in the Catholic Church.
Any, it looks like you and I had to go through a similar process of having our hard hearts softened by the Holy Spirit.
We may have thought that we would never be Catholic, but God had the last laugh...

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, yes He did! God is good! Thanks.

Kathleen@so much to say said...

Last week when I heard this reading, I was thinking all the usual things, and realizing that I was viewing the rocky ground, etc. as illustrations of someone else's life, and closing my eyes to seeing where it might apply to mine. I need to be as open as you were.

deanna said...

Conversion is wonderful!

Colleen said...

Kathleen, I do that a lot myself. Then the Spirit reminds us to look into our own heart. Like the reading today on weeds. God bless!

Deanna, amen! Thanks for stopping by!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

So often we do things we really don't want to, maybe out of a sense of duty and motivated by love of another. These are just the situations God uses to bring us closer to Him, even though they are disagreeable to us at the time. In retrospect, I can see that in my life some of the things I most resisted internally were great opportunities God used to sand off rough edges. Your story makes me think of the psalm/litany which repeats the phrase "for His mercy endures forever."

Colleen said...

Barb, I so agree - the sanding off of rough edges. Thanks for that psalm phrase. Amen.

noreen said...

Hi Colleen, I first read your post on Community of Catholic Bloggers and it's even better the second time around! I think we all go through patches of having rocky hearts when we get caught up in having a world view... not even knowing sometimes that it is a world view. I thank God that he is full of mercy and forgiveness!

Colleen said...

Noreen, thank you! God is good!

Angela said...

And God changed the soil of my heart from rocky to rich.
Thank you Lord, for your generous and loving heart. Thank you for bringing me closer to you. Please work through me to bring others closer to you. Change our rocky hearts into hearts that bear fruit. – Amen.

amen amen amen..Colleen I have joined you in this prayer for it too is my prayer.

Colleen said...

Angela, thank you so much!