Sunday, July 31, 2011

Jesus Multiplies Our Giving

Jesus said to them, “There is no need for them to go away;
 give them some food yourselves.” - Matthew 14:16
I read a reflection on the gospel for this Sunday and the last sentence really hit me: Even if we can’t give all, we can give something. And we can pray that Jesus transforms our little, so that all can be satisfied. – Clifford Yeary, A Year of Sundays, Little Rock Scripture Study
We always think we have to do it all. That it is all on our shoulders to feed the hungry, heal the sick, rid the world of child abuse.
But it is not all up to us and it never was. We cannot humanly solve the world’s problems. We cannot humanly solve all of our own family's problems.
But we can give what we have, and then maybe a little more, and then we can trust that Jesus will be there to multiply our giving.
I do not think I give enough. I see what others give and I feel like I fall short. But there are so many people out there who want or need spiritual direction. So I do what I can. I give my little. I give my time and my writing and my listening ear.
And then I trust that Jesus takes that and makes it into something. Something to satisfy. Something to feed my directees. I trust and I pray.
Dear Lord, I do not feel like I always give my all. Sometimes I am afraid. Or I think I am not worthy. But I trust that you will take what I have to give and multiply it. I trust that you will feed your lambs with what little I have to give. And I know you will help me to let go and give more. For Lord, I am hungry. I am poor in spirit. Feed me, Lord and help me to feed others. Amen.
Photobucket

14 comments :

Karinann said...

Colleen,
Your post addresses something I have always struggled with and still do to some degree, and that is acknowledging my weakness. I think when we acknowledge our weakness, God is able to do more in and with us.
I agree with you~ if we approach God and all we do, no matter how small, He will multiply it. Maybe a little like a company matching an employee's donation~only better :)
Thanks for this beautiful post. I will certainly join you in your prayer.
Hugs & blessings.

Colleen said...

Karinann, your comment is so beautiful because it is so honest and open. And you made my day because I am glad I am not alone in these feelings of weakness. I am so afraid of falling short sometimes. But we forget we are not alone and that Jesus will never leave us to do things alone. Praise God!
I love that comment about a matching donation too! :)
Hugs back.

Maria said...

Yes, absolutely. I find that it's Jesus asking us to give a little more than we think we have. And that the more we give to Him, the more He is able to delight us (which He loves to do!) with how much He does with it.

And as far as the weakness comments, I totally agree and the two Catholic authors who helped me move towards learning to accept my weaknesses are Jean Vanier and Fr Henri Nouwen, I definitely encourage Catholics (or not!) to look into their books.

Colleen said...

Maria, I love your comment too! Thanks so much. I love those two authors as well. They are both healers - wounded healers as Henri Nouwen would say. Thanks and God bless!

mary333 said...

This type of thinking was problematic for me for a long time - thinking I had to do more, do more, to help. An easy way to get burnt out is what it is (with a little pride thrown in to boot). I believe Jesus multiplies our giving too. This was an excellent post, Colleen! Thank you.

Colleen said...

Mary, thank you! Burn-out is right! Been there, done that. God bless!

Kathleen Basi said...

This may be the weirdest thing I've ever admitted, but I have never considered my writing to be part of what I give. Weird because I always pray that it will reach someone and make a difference...but when I tally up what I do for God, I never count it. i'm always thinking how I need to reach more people. Isn't that odd? This was a great reminder.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, glad I was able to remind you of the importance of your writing!
It is a gift God gave you and you are sharing your gift with others! Thank you!

RAnn said...

Thanks for the reminder. I'm one who gets discouraged if I can't manage something; nice to remember that I can call in reinforcements.

Colleen said...

RAnn, I like how you said that! I agree that is nice to know we don't have to go it alone! In fact, I don't think we are expected to. That's what community is for. God bless!

Michael said...

LOVED this! What a great parallel to this passage. I never thought about it quite like this.

God Bless you - glad I found your blog!

Colleen said...

Michael, thanks for visiting! Glad you like this post. Always a blessing to see things in a new way!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Thanks for this most comforting thought - Jesus multiplies our giving. He makes perfect what in us is imperfect. I'm one of those who knows I don't give enough. I could always do more. Now I can see that if I do what I can, especially putting it in the hands of the Blessed Virgin to pretty it up, all will be well.

Colleen said...

Barb, amen! Makes me think of what Julian of Norwich said - All will be well, all will be well, all manner of things will be well.