Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Pelicans and Podcasts

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
Here are some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. We celebrated our wedding anniversary this week by going out to dinner on the beach. Our table was right in front of the picture window and we were able to watch seagulls and pelicans and even a dolphin. We even timed it perfectly to watch the sunset. A beautiful peaceful place to feel close to God and to celebrate with the love of my life.
2. I have a 35-40 minute drive to work so I like listening to audiobooks or podcasts in my car to pass the time. This week I have been listening to an audio retreat that I downloaded from Creighton University's Online Ministries. An inspiring prayerful way to start my days.
3. I have been under the weather this week. Came home early from work on Thursday. That evening I sat in my favorite chair, wanting to pray, and the next thing I knew it was morning! Guess I fell asleep in God's arms.
What were your sabbath moments this week?
Photobucket

11 comments :

Sue Elvis said...

Happy Anniversary to you and your husband, Colleen. May the year ahead be one full of joy and blessings. It sounds like you had a beautiful celebration at a very picturesque location.

I discovered Crieghton University's Online Ministries last Advent. I followed the link from someone's blog and was glad I did.The readings / prayers / meditations really helped me prepare for Christmas.

"Guess I fell asleep in God's arms" - What a beautiful image! I hope you're feeling better.

God bless.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Glad you had such a great anniversary in such a perfect setting. These little things God gives us are such a wonderful sign of His love.

I wonder if falling asleep while praying is a form of prayer itself. St. Faustina offered every beat of her heart while she was sleeping to God as an expression of love. Her act makes me think we can pray while sleeping.

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Hope you are feeling (over?) the weather now? LOL HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to a BEAUTIFUL couple!

Maria said...

Check out the iPadre podcast. It's wonderful!!! Done weekly (usually) by a priest in Rhode Island.

Colleen said...

Sue, thank you! The online ministries site is great, isnt it?

Barb, i love what you said here about falling asleep and St Faustina. that is really beautiful.

Judy, I am feeling much better! Thank you!

Maria, thank you! I will checc it out!

Karinann said...

Colleen,
Love the title of your post :)and "falling asleep in God's arms" I have been listening to Fr. Larry Gilick's audio retreat over at the Creighton site. I am through 8 of the 12 so far and enjoying it immensely.
Happy Anniversary to you and your husband. Hope you are feeling better.
Hugs & Blessings!

Colleen said...

Karinann, I have listened to all of his retreats. He is great and I enjoyed them too. Glad you like my title. lol
I am feeling better! Thank you.
Hugs and blessings!

mary333 said...

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well, Colleen, but falling asleep in God's arms sure sounds wonderful :)

Your anniversary celebration sounded perfect! Beach, sunset, dolphins and pelicans with the love of your life - sounds like heaven! Happy Anniversary!

Colleen said...

Mary, it was heaven. Thanks!

Colleen @ Inadequate Disciple said...

Happy Wedding Anniversary Colleen! I also tend to fall asleep while doing spiritual reading and praying.

Colleen said...

Hi Colleen! Thanks for the best wishes. I think a lot of us fall asleep praying. It is good to know that God works in our sleep.