Sunday, August 21, 2011

Jesus is the One

… And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church … (Mt 16:18)
I reflect on my relationship with the Church and with Peter. I remember when I went to RCIA classes to become Catholic and how amazed I was to learn about the church and Peter and the apostolic succession.
I think about the troubles of the church in recent years, with the sexual abuse scandal and the abuse of authority by a few bishops and priests in the church. But I know the majority of bishops and priests are good and holy people. And I know the gates of hell will not prevail against the church.
I worry about some of the divisions in the Catholic Church these days and the quarreling that seems to be going on among some of us. I cannot help but think that while diversity can be good, charity seems to be missing in some places.
I reflect on my husband’s homily this Sunday and his point - that we can know Jesus’ church by just one sign – how we love and serve the least of our brothers and sisters.
I have been watching the World Youth day events. So many of the youth are really experiencing the universal church for the first time in their lives and they are so excited. I am excited for them.
I was reading some of the youths’ quotes in an article from the Catholic News Service. One pilgrim was talking about how awesome it was to see the Pope and she wondered what he thought as he looked out on the huge crowds. And then she added that there was one thing she knew for sure - “He knows that it’s not for him, but that it’s for Jesus Christ …”
In a reflection by Father Ron Rolheiser, he quotes Raymond Brown from his book The Community of the Beloved Disciple - “Raymond Brown reminds us that ‘the greatest dignity to be striven for is neither papal, episcopal, nor priestly; the greatest dignity is that of belonging to the community of the beloved disciples of Jesus Christ.’”
So after all this pondering, how do I answer this question from Jesus?
“But who do you say that I am?” (Mt 16:15)
I have to answer it the same way Peter did.
You are the Christ, the son of the living God.
You are the one who will heal us and help us to grow more loving.
You are the one who will save us and unite us and love us no matter what.
You are the one who will make all things new.
Lord, I love you with all my heart. You are all things to me. You are my everything. Help me to love and serve the little ones among us. Help me to love like you love. Please give our Holy Father wisdom, strength and love. Guide his hands and heart, Jesus. Guide all of our shepherds. Amen.
Photobucket

11 comments :

Jean Wise said...

Great prayer, Colleen. I prayed it twice as I read your post.

May "Jesus, you are the one" be our prayers this week and forever.

Colleen said...

Thank you Jean. Glad you liked the prayer. It took me awhile to figure out where I was going with all of this! Jesus, you are the one came out of "nowhere." God bless!

colleen@inadequate disciple said...

Very good post. I love the passionate prayer to Jesus.

Daily Grace said...

Really beautiful reflection Colleen.
I especially love your prayer.

Colleen said...

Colleen, thanks so much!

Daily Grace, thank you! That prayer just came from my heart.

mary333 said...

Your prayers are always beautiful, Colleen, because they come straight from the heart. I join you in this lovely prayer. God bless :)

Colleen said...

Mary, thank you! Glad you like my prayers. That is the only way I know how to write them - from my heart.
God bless you, too. :)

Barb Schoeneberger said...

One of the greatest gifts television and the internet brings us is the ability to see and hear the Holy Father and the crowds that come to him. I can never thank God enough that I was Catholic from my mother's womb. Christ's Mystical Body is a gift to man and the world. Now if I could just stop sinning...

Colleen said...

Barb, I am a convert and I too thank God for bringing me to the Catholic faith. What a blessing it has been in my life! My cup overflows!

evanscove said...

Great reflection.

And may the Lord bless our Catholic youth, draw them closer to Himself, and keep them in the arms of His Church. I hope the young people at those events realize the treasures they have in being part of Christ's mystical body.

Like you, as a convert I too am still grasping what the Catholic Church is and has for us.

Have a blessed week!

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, yes, we are still learning aren't we? God bless!