Saturday, August 27, 2011

Praying the Psalms

"The revelation of your words sheds light, gives understanding to the simple." (Psalm 119:130)
I used to think the psalms were rather boring. I cringe inside to hear myself say that. But other than the responsorial psalms at Mass, I paid little attention to them.
Then I went to Pecos Monastery in New Mexico to take their Spiritual Direction class. The monks there prayed the Liturgy of the Hours 4 times a day and I prayed with them. I chanted the psalms with them everyday, day after day, for a month.
And something inside of me changed ... read more

Photobucket

5 comments :

Sue Elvis said...

Colleen,
I fell in love with the psalms when I started saying the Divine Office. When the responsorial psalm at Mass is one I am particularly familiar with, it is like meeting up with an old friend.

Do you know of any good books about the psalms, Colleen?

Colleen said...

Sue, thank you for your comment! Praying the Divine Office (the Liturgy of the Hours) seems to call us to love the psalms. Familiarity maybe?
The only book I have read on the psalms was Praying the Psalms by Merton. A small book but good.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Hi Colleen,

I'm really confused. Just left you a message here and it appeared on the Community Blog!

How did you do that? You're a great magician.

I clicked "Read More" then left a message.

God bless.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Aha ... got it!

When you press "Read More" it connects you to the Community Blog. But if you press "Comments" on THIS Blog, then you comment on this Blog.

Very clever. Well done.

God bless.

Colleen said...

Victor, sorry about that!! I link to my articles on the Community blog so my readers who read my blog through email only can read them. Also, it lets people know about the Community blog who might not know about it! God bless!