Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Pelican on Vacation

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
My hubby and I went on a mini-vacation this week. Vacations give us great sabbath moments!
We drove around a beach area one day. Just exploring. We came upon a bay area that looked so pretty and peaceful. We parked and sat on a bench, watching boats and seagulls, feeling the sea breeze.
A pelican was standing about 10 feet away from us on the stonewall that separated us from the water. It would look at us every few minutes and waddle a little closer to us. I wasn’t sure if I should be excited or nervous. That beak looked pretty strong. Maybe people feed the wildlife around here? I hope not.
Finally the pelican settled down on the wall not too far from us, looking ready for a nap. I took a picture and we three sat there, basking in the sun and the breeze, enjoying the peaceful day.
God is good.
Photobucket

7 comments :

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Wow! That's some beak, alright!
So glad that you and hubby (and God) had this lovely time together:)

Thanks for Sabbath Moments!

mary333 said...

Colleen,
Sounds like you two had a peaceful little break :) I love the pelican picture! I saw some in Florida many years ago - they are beautiful birds! God bless!

mary333 said...

By the way, I loved the title! Pelicans deserve vacations too :)

Barb Schoeneberger said...

That pelican was checking you out to make sure he would be safe in his territory!

Recently Pope Benedict addressed the subject of why convents and monasteries are built in the countryside and in the mountains. It's for the silence so necessary to contemplate God. When we get away from the bustle of everyday life like you did this week with your husband, it makes for moments of shared silence that allows God to work in us without distraction. I'm so happy you were able to do this and that you shared your mini-vacation with us.

Colleen said...

Judy, that beak looks really scary close up! It was a wonderful moment in the midst of wonderful moments.

Mary, yes, they are amazing birds too. Watching them look for food in the sea and dive is amazing. And they fly rather gracefully though they do not look graceful when they waddle around!
Glad you like the title! We all need vacations right?

Barb, I think you are right. We definitely felt "checked out."
Yes, I needed this time so badly! I was hardly able to write or think or pray. It took me 3 days just to finally allow myself to relax!! (I feel another post coming on! lol)

RAnn said...

I love pelicans. One thing I like out Louisiana is that we see big birds close up regularly--I guess if you can just fly away, humans aren't so scary.

Colleen said...

RAnn, good point! Never thought of that! :)