Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Small Moments with God

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
Finding small little moments in my days helps me feel closer to God. Here are some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. I was driving out of a shopping center and I had to stop and wait for a big duck to cross the road in front of me. There was no water near this area and I have no idea where that duck could have come from. I didn't see any other ducks either. I was amused by the whole thing and I couldn't help thinking that God has a great sense of humor.
2. On my way home from work, I stopped by the small lake in my park and, for a few moments, watched the raindrops causing ripples on the surface of the water. It was so peaceful.
3. I am usually the first one in the office in the morning. I have been taking a few minutes, sitting there alone in the quiet, just listening and praying to God, thanking him for the gift of another day. It is just for a few moments but so peaceful.
4. Listening to an online retreat in the car on my way back & forth to work passes the time and inspires me at the same time. Or I listen to Christian music and sing up a storm!
What were your Sabbath moments this week?
Photobucket

7 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I'm sure God loves us to have a good laugh with Him. Joy cannot be contained. It has to be shared. The image of the lone duck is fun to imagine. I think God gives us these moments to tide us over for the really tough things He asks of us.

Kathleen Basi said...

I like #3. I remember doing that when I was working. My soul stretches out in longing for that sense again. I have to keep reminding myself that holiness is found in the chaos of kids shrieking at and giggling with each other, too...even if my soul gets fed by the other.

Colleen said...

Barb, I so agree with all that you said. "Joy cannot be contained." Amen.

Kathleen, oh, yes, there is holiness in all of that chaos. I hope and pray that you can find little tiny moments of the peace as well. Thanks for your comment!

evanscove said...

I'm sure that "singing up a storm" gives you (and all of us, for that matter) a tremendous release! And finding humor in that duck doesn't surprise me--animals can always give us so much fun and joy.

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, I so agree with all you said! God bless!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

For some reason, this wasn't working for me when I tried to comment and link up on Saturday...I thought I'd give it another try while I was here this morning for Thankful Blessings...and VOILA...it worked this time! LOL

Colleen said...

Judy, these linky's can get temperamental! lol Thanks for trying again! Always good to "See" you!