Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Thankful for Blessings - A Benedictine Life

Wednesdays is the day I join my blogging friend, Judy, in this meme at her inspiring blog, A Thankful Woman's Book of Blessings. While you are there, be sure to check out her website and other blog. We give thanks for the five things we are most thankful for this past week and then link to Judy's blog. Thanks, Judy, for helping me keep an "attitude of gratitude!" :)
Some of my blessings this week:
1. I celebrated my 11th year as a Benedictine Oblate this week. What a blessing this has been for me. I am far away from my "home" monastery but that is just a physical distance. Thank you, Lord.
2. I was getting tired of having different books to lug around in order to read the Rule of St. Benedict and pray the morning and evening prayers. I was so excited to find a Benedictine abbey (in Limerick) with a free app on the iphone! And the app has Gregorian chant everyday, PLUS morning and evening prayers PLUS a portion of the Rule everyday! Thank you, Lord! It is just perfect.
3. I am so grateful for my family. My husband is the love of my life. I am so thankful for my children and stepchildren and grandchildren! And by the way, my youngest grandson has started walking!
4. I am thankful for the gift of laughter. Laughing is healing and helps us get through so much in life. Thank you, Jesus!
5. Thank you, Lord, for ice cream cones and mocha frappaccinos on hot summer days!
Photobucket

9 comments :

Sue Elvis said...

Hi Colleen, my eldest daughter was a novice with the Benedictines for two years before deciding religious life wasn't her vocation. During that time we investigated becoming oblates. This is how we were introduced to the Divine Office and the Rule of St Benedict. Morning and evening prayers - such a beautiful addition to our prayer life, though I must admit they don't always fit into the schedule of our busy days.

btw,I enjoyed your ebook!

God bless, Colleen.

Colleen said...

Sue, glad you enjoyed my ebook!! I love the morning and evening prayers too but also do not always fit them in. I am hoping this new app will help me!! Thanks!

munchesmom said...

Congratulations on your 11th anniversary! What a blessing for you!

Ditto to #5...so refreshing!

Eileen @ Ordained Praise said...

We just had some summer fun ice cream cones earlier today! I also want to laugh more. Been very busy lately.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Congratulations on 11 years and on having a wonderful family.

I too love laughter and ice cream.

A man asks the shopkeeper: "May I have an ice cream please?"

The shopkeeper whispers hoarsely: "What flavor?"

"Oh dear" sympathises the customer, "do you have laryngitis?"

"No ... we have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and ..."

God bless.

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Smiling ear to ear and thinking of your sweet grandson's first steps:)
So glad you have enjoyed these delightful blessings this week!
Your summer treats sound very tasty!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

LOL Victor: very funny...I had to read it twice before I got it! ::blushes and shrugs shoulders::

Jean Wise said...

What a blessing - 11 years! Congrats! and I sure do enjoy your Wednesday lists. That app looks great. I want to get an Iphone this fall so that app will probably be one of the first things I get. thanks for sharing that resource and all your blessings.

Colleen said...

munchesmom, thank you! #5 is very popular I think!

Eileen, I know what you mean about being busy. Hope we can slow down in August for awhile! Laughter is healing!

Victor, thank you for making me laugh!!! LOL

Judy, glad to know you are smiling! And Victor helped with that too!

Jean, thank you. The app is a very nice one. Simple to use and enjoy.