Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Walk on the Beach

I was on vacation. I heard the thunder and saw the gray clouds but decided it was a good day to go to the beach. Just for a walk. Made sense to me.
I made the short drive to my favorite parking lot right on the beach. The rain had stopped. Only a handful people were on the beach. Some were sitting in their chairs reading and some were walking. I decided to take a brisk walk for some exercise.
It was so pleasant walking. A nice breeze. No humidity. No crowds. Just me and the water and the sky and the seagulls. I like having the beach to myself, especially on days like this.
This was a perfect gray day. Everything was gray. The sky was gray. The water was gray. The sand was beige. A gray and beige day.
I was alone with my thoughts, in my one of favorite places. I pondered my writing. I wondered if I should have been writing more this week and then decided that vacation was meant for wasting time.
I felt like being silly and took a video of my feet in the water so I can look at it when I am somewhere else and wish I was at the beach.
I stood in the warm water, praising God for such a beautiful gray and beige day and such a beautiful scene and such a beautiful gift of life that he has given me.
I drove home and got in the door just as the thunder and lightning and rain started. I lit some candles and then sat and watched the rain. A peaceful morning. A great start to my day.
Good morning, Lord. Thank you for this day. Thanks for this life.



Photobucket

9 comments :

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I love the beach.

The last time I was there a seagull pooped on my boss' head. She asked me if I had any paper handkerchiefs.

I said it's too late now. The seagull must have flown miles away!

God bless.

Colleen said...

Victor, LOL!! Thanks for the laugh!

Colleen(Inadequate Disciple) said...

I like that you live in Florida and you actually still love and go to the beach often. My parents and my grandparents stopped going at some point. I lived in Florida from 1980-1989. Absolutely loved and still love the beach. Being alone for a walk also sounds awesome. Something about the great expanse of ocean and sky that brings a stillness to a person and a sense of how blessed we are, as you say, to have life.

Colleen said...

Colleen, thanks! You know exactly how I feel when i am there. I cannot stay out in the sun much anymore but I still find a way to go whenever I can. I like to go watch the sunsets and take walks. I feel close to God there.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Feet in the water is really good for the body. It releases the inner child, too. I'd love to visit the beach and walk barefoot in the sand and waves like you do, Colleen. Your video made me feel happy just looking at it.

Colleen said...

Barb, I am so glad my video made you happy! That is kinda why I put it there. To bring smiles to everyone's faces! You are right about the inner child. I always feel like a kid when I walk the beach. :)

ellengable said...

Beautiful video, Colleen! Simple but effective. Thanks for sharing...

Carol@simple_catholic said...

What a lovely moment. I so love the beach, too.

Your post and video reminds me of the first summer after getting my driver's license when I would drive to the beach alone to watch the sunset or sun rise. It was so peaceful. :)

Colleen said...

Ellen, thank you! Glad you liked it!

Carol, very peaceful!! I take it for granted sometimes.