Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sabbath Moments - Silence

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.

1. Driving home from work one day, the sky was filled with clouds, all different shades and colors. Black and gray and white. Some blue sky peeked through, too. Quite a beautiful picture God painted for me.
Then as I got closer to home, it began to pour. And the sky was all gray and I could not see any clouds. When I pulled up to my street, the rain stopped and the sun came out!
As my grandfather was always fond of saying - "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute!"

2. I downloaded a movie on to my computer - Into Great Silence. It is a documentary about a cloistered community of Carthusian monks who live in silence. No commentary or sound effects are added to this movie. I have not watched it yet but I am excited about it. I just want to sit in silence and absorb it all.

3. Eucharistic Adoration. The best hour of Silence I spend.

4. In my monthly newsletter, I wrote an article about Time and referred to Jim Croce and his song, Time in a Bottle. I found a video with him playing with his son and singing the song. I enjoyed watching the video and reflected on the need to spend time with my Lord. Here are the lyrics.




10 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

When you describe the lovely skies and scenes in your area, I often think how blessed we are to have the gift of sight. We can enjoy such beauty because God bends down to us with an invitation to think of Him.

Colleen said...

Barb, I know what you mean. I am always so grateful. And there is so much beauty in this world. God bless! Thanks for joining me!

Judy Dudich said...

I watched the Jim Croce story once...very sad/intriguing; as many of the "famous" biographies are.
I like the way your grandpa thinks:)
And...I watched the Silence film...I am wondering if you can tell us what the pillar/post thing is that the young monk keeps touching, might be. Do you know what I'm talking about? He is seen, several times, kneeling in prayer and then spontaneously gets up, goes a few feet over and touches this pillar thing...then kneels back down. We couldn't figure out what the purpose was.
Anyway, very interesting movie...enlightening to the ways of the inner-world of a cloister/monastery. Just finished my copy of Prayerful Morsels...I look forward to it arriving in my inbox each time!

Jean Wise said...

Let us know what you think about that movie. I have read about it and thought about seeing it. Looks interesting.

Colleen said...

Judy, I dont know what that post thing is ... I will try to find out ..
Thanks for joining me in this meme! Glad you like the Prayerful Morsels!

Jean, I have just started it, Will let you know but in the little bit I have seen so far, I was intrigued and immersed in it!!

Eileen Miller said...

Thank you for the lyrics to "Time in a Bottle." It really touched me as I thought of my children when they were small and I'm so glad I stayed home with them. The video brought tears to my eyes.

Colleen said...

Eileen, I had tears in my eyes too. He wrote that song for his son and died when his son was only 2. We cannot hold onto time. We can only try to not waste it. Thanks Eileen!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

I watched "Into Great Silence" and it was absolutely beautiful.

Kathleen Basi said...

I've been feeling ap ull to silence lately...along with a baby determined to prevent me from having it! Your focus is yet another nudge from God to figure out the logistics of making it happen.

Colleen said...

Carol, thank you! I can't wait until I have a full 2 hours to just sit and watch it.

Kathleen, don't you just love those nudges? Hope (and pray) you find a way to that silence!