Sunday, October 21, 2012

Called to Serve

"Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all." - Mark 10:43
I have never doubted that my husband was called to be a deacon in the Catholic Church. One of the charisms of the diaconate is service and his desire to serve others has always been obvious to me. And to others as well. 
And I am not just talking about ministry. In fact, it is quite amusing to be eating lunch in a room full of deacons and watch them as they fall all over themselves trying to serve everyone, including each other. We often joke about it but the truth is it comes quite naturally to them. They don’t even think about it. 
It is surely a grace. 
I pray for that grace often. We are all called to serve in some capacity, but it is often difficult. When I fail, I feel so low. And I wonder if I will ever get it right. 
And then I read about these apostles. They lived with Jesus. They ate with him. They looked upon his face and heard his voice every single day. 
And they didn't get it. 
They had the advantage of walking the earth with Jesus and seeing him in action. And yet they argued over who should be first. I think I am in good company. There is hope. 
Dear Lord, please give me the grace to be a servant to all. Help me to see you in all I meet and to remember that you are the Lord of my life. Amen. 

The Servant Song became very special to us during my husband's diaconate formation. It never fails to make me cry.

11 comments:

Karinann said...

Satan was cast into hell because he thought himself greater than God and said he would not serve. In essence our first parents said the same thing when they fell prey to the serpent in the Garden of Eden. When we answer God's call to serve Him in whatever way He chooses for each of us, we are working out our salvation and following Christ's greatest commands to love God and neighbor.
Excellent post, Colleen. I went to our 5:30pm vigil and we sang the Servant song during the offertory; it is one of my favorites too.
Hugs and blessings!

Michael said...

Great perspective Colleen. I also like to read about the Saints and how many mistakes many of them made. It helps me to stay positive in spite of all my failings.

God Bless.

Colleen said...

Karinann, that is so beautiful how you worded that about serving God. Thank you.
I went to Mass this morning and Servant Song was also during our offertory! Hugs and blessings!

Michael, we forget that saints were human too!
Thank you. God bless.

mary333 said...

Hi Colleen,
You may get two comments from me - I was writing to you about St Bridget (you know: how the bumblebees and butterflies swarmed around her mouth when she was born 'cause she was so sweet? Well, I don't think she appreciates my sense of humor because my comment disappeared into thin air. (Jeez, and I even wrote "Forgive me Saint Bridget.) Anyway, I love how the apostles "didn't get it" because I "don't get it" most of the time either. I have a bit of difficulty with the super duper saints who "got it" even in the cradle :)

(Your comment over at my site made me laugh! The problem is that my mind is blank or I would come back right now :)

Colleen said...

Mary, only one comment showed up! ( am sure St Bridgett forgave you! I don't get it most of the time either. We are works in progress!!
I will pray for your mind to fill up! lol. Advent is coming. A new season. A new year!
:)

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I just love what you wrote about your husband and the permanent diaconate. Every deacon I've known has been loving, caring, and so willing to serve their parishes. It was excellent that Pope Paul VI restored this very necessary aspect of the sacred priesthood to the Church. It is a special vocation not many are called to.

Colleen said...

Barb, thank you! You obviously know what I am talking about! Yes, it is a special vocation. A gift for all of us.

Kathleen Basi said...

We sang that song at our wedding. Don't always live up to it, but it's in our family consciousness.

I love your peek into the diaconate world: falling all over themselves to serve each other. It makes me happy.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, glad you liked the deacon story. Makes me happy too.
What a wonderful song for a wedding! Love it.

Joann Nelander said...

Colleen, I have always found the deacons in my life to be very approachable, and that's important to me because I've always been a bit shy. Sometimes I'm intimidated by priests (not their fault, it's just me.)
Getting close, though, is like being John at the Last Supper.

Colleen said...

Joann, I love how you put that "getting close is like being John at the Last Supper." I agree!