Sunday, January 20, 2013

Do Whatever he Tells You



His mother said to the servers, "Do whatever he tells you." - John 2:5

These are the last words of Mary recorded in the Bible. What powerful words they are. Sometimes I feel as if she is speaking to me. Do whatever he tells you.

The picture here is a picture I took when we visited the Holy Land several years ago. It is the church at Cana. We renewed our vows outside of the church because it was so crowded inside. We bought a bottle of wine at the gift shop there and gave it to our son when he and his girlfriend got engaged.

And I sometimes wonder, did Jesus dance at our wedding?

Of course he did.

Jesus, thank you for the miracle at Cana, and for your overflowing abundance of love. Love for your mother. Love for us. And thank you also for teaching us that there is a time for everything. A time for dance and a time for joy. A time for work and a time for play. Help me to live in the moment and enjoy each moment as they are all gifts from you. Amen.

13 comments:

Michael said...

What a beautiful thought!

God Bless.

Colleen said...

Thank you Michael! God bless!

Connie Arnold said...

This was the subject of the sermon at church this morning. Jesus was celebrating with joy, and I love your lovely thought about Jesus dancing! Blessings to you, Colleen!

Jean Wise said...

I never before realized those were her last recored words. wow. and to think they were : Do whatever he tells you." I will hold that thought this week. Thanks Colleen

Colleen said...

Jean, I know what you mean! I often ponder those words. Such an awesome thing.

Colleen said...

Connie, thank you! Blessings to you, too. Glad to see you here!

Monica said...

Oh, wow! Thanks for giving me a new way to think about Mary's words at Cana!

Colleen said...

Monica, you are welcome! I remember how I felt when I first heard that. Awesome! God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Mary's only command to us: Do whatever He tells you. If only we would we could stay out of a lot of trouble, right? I think of these words often, especially when I'm wondering what to do about something.

Kathleen Basi said...

Lovely! It never occurred to me that this was what you did at Cana, but it makes perfect sense, doesn't it? :)

Colleen said...

Kathleen, yes it does! And it was so beautiful!

Michael Maedoc said...

What a beautiful spot to renew your vows. This reflection makes for a good renewal for any marriage, Do what God has told us and love our spouse and children...

Colleen said...

Michael, thank you! God bless!