Monday, February 4, 2013

Jesus Loves Us

A little boy came into the parish office one day. His mother was talking to the pastor and he was in the waiting room, looking a bit uncomfortable and nervous.
So first I did what any self-respecting parish secretary would do. I offered chocolate. That certainly worked well.
And then I asked him what he liked to do. And he told me about his favorite toys and games, etc.
Then suddenly he looked up and saw the crucifix on the wall. And he asked, very seriously, "Why did Jesus have to die like that?"
"To show us how much he loves us," I told him.
"It hurt him a lot, didn't it?"
"Yes, it hurt very much.
"He didn’t have to die like that, did he?"
"No, he could have walked away."
"But he loves us, right?"
"Yes. Very much. All the time. No matter what."
He was pretty satisfied with that, and feeling better, we went on to talk about other things that little boys like to talk about. Games and tv shows and favorite toys, etc.
But for those few minutes, we were not little boy and old parish secretary lady. We were just two people, wondering why Jesus loves us that much, and very grateful that he does.


For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. - John 3:16

9 comments:

deodate said...

Isn't it amazing how real children are? Their questions sometimes invite us to go deep and understand at new levels. And...the chocolate is always a good thing!
Andie

noreen said...

Hi Colleen, love that interaction with he little boy. His curious heart was fed by your truthful response in the love of Jesus for us. He'll remember that conversation. God bless.

Colleen said...

Andie, yes, they are so real and open and honest. Just loved that moment. Thank you!

Colleen said...

Noreen, thank you. It was a special moment. And he reminded me of my boys. They asked the same kind of questions at his age. God bless!

Maria said...

WOW! Thank you for sharing this conversation! I just read it aloud to my 12 yo son & his response was, "That's cool!"

Colleen said...

Maria, thank you! Glad you liked it! And your son, too! I was just amazed when the little boy asked that question. I knew I would remember that moment.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Now that was a true moment of grace!

Joann Nelander said...

How privileged you were, Colleen, to be part of those graced moments of witness.

Colleen said...

Barb, yes it was! I knew it too.

Joann, Yes, I was. I felt that.