Sunday, March 17, 2013

Forgiven

“Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”  - John 8:7b

Then Jesus straightened up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” She replied, “No one, sir.” Then Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you. Go, and from now on do not sin any more.” - John 8:10-11
Jesus not only shows the adulterous woman His loving mercy, he teaches the stone throwers that we are all sinners. And in a way, shows them mercy as well. No yelling. No putdowns. Just simply pointing out that we have no business judging others.

I have also been on the other side of the stone. I have judged others. I struggle with that all the time. I love how Jesus helps us to see that we should not judge others until we judge ourselves first.

There is a quite a sense of freedom when we know we are forgiven. To be loved in such a way, to know that no matter who we are or what we did, Jesus still loves us, is amazing.

Jesus, I have no idea what you wrote in the ground but I hope, when I need your forgiveness, you write on my heart the words of your everlasting love and mercy. Amen.

13 comments :

Monica said...

This is a beautiful reflection Colleen. What a good reminder to have compassion rather than judgement for our neighbors.

Michael said...

Nice reflection Colleen. I also throw way too many stones. A weakness I try really hard to shore up.

God Bless you.

Colleen said...

Monica, thank you! I need that reminder often, I'm afraid.

Michael, me, too. Thanks and God bless.

Carol@simple_catholic said...

I love this perspective. You are so right, Jesus is always so gentle with us even when he shows us our failings as he was with those who accused the women.

Richard Maffeo said...

Colleen, I agree with the other comments. Nicely done.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Rash judgement is something I've struggled with all my life. It's a lot more under control now than in years past, thanks to God showing me through my health issues how really weak I am. I can see now that I need to cut others slack for a lot of reasons I'd never have considered before. Thank heavens for the mercy of Christ.

Colleen said...

Carol, thank you. We need to remember that dont we?

Barb, I know just what you mean. I have felt the same way. I do not want to be judged so I need not judge others either. We do not know what is in their hearts.

Colleen said...

Richard, thank you so much!

noreen said...

I've been curious too, Colleen on what he wrote in the sand? God bless.

Colleen said...

Noreen, I heard about a homily from someone who said that Jesus was doodling because he wanted to keep his head down as to not add to the woman's shame by staring at her. A beautiful perspective.

noreen said...

Very interesting. I like that perspective too.

Joann Nelander said...

Beautiful reflection and I add my "Amen" to your prayer. Jesus waits to welcome all of us. It takes a lot of faith to see all men as loved by Him because His image may be buried by so much that is unlovely, and yes that could be me on any day.

Colleen said...

Joann, thank you. I agree, it takes a lot of faith. Praise God, he keeps us in good supply, if we are open to receive the gift. God bless!