Monday, March 18, 2013

Joy Returns

Habemus Papam!

Those words are now imprinted on my mind and heart forever. When I heard them spoken to announce the election of Pope Francis, I got tears in my eyes. I was a mess and yet, at the same time, I was filled with joy!

We have a pope!

As I watched the news and video clips throughout the conclave. I thought how awesome it is, that the Church just keeps doing what it does. Though our hearts are breaking with the empty chair left by Pope Benedict, we just keep on keeping on.  Just like we have been doing for 2000 years.

After all, this is Jesus' Church. We need not be afraid. He is with us always. He will not leave us orphans.

And as soon as we saw our new pope, we already loved him. Isn't that amazing? Right away, we saw him and we were filled with joy!

Perhaps the Holy Spirit gives us these gifts of tears and joy so we know, we are sure, that this is the Pope, the successor to Peter, chosen by Christ for His church.

Our 266th pope. Our shepherd, the Servant of the Servants of God. Il Papa.

Habemus Papam! 


also posted on Community of Catholic Bloggers

6 comments:

Kathleen Basi said...

I have only been through two papal transitions--three, counting JPII, but I was so tiny it went by without even being marked. When Benedict came into office, I was only days shy of delivering my first, long-awaited baby. So perhaps that explains why I never got emotional that time. This time...I'm a great, hormonal, joyful mess! And you're right--I love him already!

Colleen said...

Kathleen, I don't think we are alone, which makes it all the more joyful!
:)

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I was deeply touched by the videos of yesterday's meeting between the two Popes. The love for each other, the warmth, and the holiness resonated through the film. This is how it's supposed to be with all of us. A great example. And history is being made before our very eyes.

Colleen said...

Barb, oh, I felt the same way. Just in awe of it all.

Joann / /lioness said...

I love him already ,too. How blessed we are!

Colleen said...

Amen, Joann! God bless!