Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Empty Tomb

Then the other disciple also went in, the one who had arrived at the tomb first, and he saw and believed. - John 20:8
He saw and believed.
What did he see? An empty tomb.
He saw an empty tomb and yet he believed.
The beloved disciple was the only disciple that did not run away when Jesus was arrested. He did not deny that he knew Jesus. He stood at the foot of the cross and watched Jesus die.
And then he saw an empty tomb and he believed.
Do we believe when we see an empty tomb? When we see the emptiness of our days? When our world seems dark?
Do we see Jesus in that emptiness? Do we see Him and believe that He has not abandoned us?
I tend to be strong in faith one minute and not so strong the next. When Pope Benedict retired, I wavered between believing that God was with us, working for our good, and fear at seeing the empty Chair of Peter.
And then Pope Francis was elected. And from the beginning, I saw Jesus in him. Tears flowed every time I saw him and heard him speak. And I knew that God was present in all that had happened.
He saw and believed.
Do we?
Dear Lord, I love you. I praise you and I thank you for dying to save us. Help me to bear all things for love of you. Help me to keep the faith. Open my eyes so I see your presence in all things, even the empty tombs of my life. Amen.

11 comments :

Michael said...

Happy Easter, Colleen!

Colleen said...

Michael, happy Easter!

Jean Wise said...

Yes happy Easter, Colleen.

I love the phrase you pulled out:

"He saw an empty tomb and yet he believed. " what a great reminder for us in our empty times.

mary333 said...

Thank you, Colleen - this is a beautiful reflection. Happy Easter!!

Colleen said...

Jean, that phrase just jumped out at me! Dont you love it when that happens! Happy Easter!

Mary, thank you! Happy Easter!

Kathleen Basi said...

The Holy Spirit really is wonderful. Thanks for this.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, amen! Thank you.

Richard Maffeo said...

Oh death, where is your victory? Oh death, where is your sting? For the sting of death is sin, and the strengh of sin is the law. But thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor 15)

Colleen said...

Richard, amen! Thanks be to God! (thanks for that)

Joann / lioness said...

Graced insight to even ask this question, Colleen. Seeing in our darkness the empty tomb,another occasion for God to bring good out of evil,Satan's absolute defeat. Alleluia!

Colleen said...

Joann, alleluia! I pray that we all can see the empty tomb as good news! God bless.