Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Who's In Charge Here?

"…That day all his planning comes to nothing." - Psalm 146:4
"Man plans … and God laughs."
Or so I have been told.
I had great plans for Lent. I had chosen the book I was going to read. I had worked out my fasting and almsgiving. And I could not wait to dig into the daily devotionals.
I felt prepared for Lent. I was all set.
Or so I thought.
And then Pope Benedict made his surprise announcement that he was retiring from the papacy. At that moment all my plans went out the window.

Read more ...

6 comments:

Vicky said...

It's been an exciting Lent, hasn't it? And, I agree that it's also been a reminder of who is in charge. On a personal level, I've felt the power of God's grace in my own weakness - a realisation that I can survive failure okay but not a lack of trust.

God bless, Colleen:-)

Colleen said...

Vicky, thanks so much. God's grace is sufficient. I forget that sometimes. God bless!

mary333 said...

Thanks for your post, Colleen. My Lents never go as planned either. I guess I need humility more than anything else.

I was very caught up in the Conclave and the new pope too! There's just something about Pope Francis. I don't think we've ever had a pope quite like him.

God bless!

Colleen said...

Mary, I agree with what you said about Pope Francis. There is something very special, very holy, about him. God bless!

Richard Maffeo said...

Actually, Man plans and God laughs is, I believe, a Yiddish-ism. My mom taught it to me as a child. All to remind us, I am sure, what St. James tells us, (James 4)

"Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.” Yet you do not know [h]what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.” But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil.

Colleen said...

Richard, I read that, too - that it is a yiddish saying. Thanks for sharing about James 4. God bless and Happy Easter!