Monday, April 1, 2013

Hallelujah!

Maria at Four Blessings Academy is hosting an uplifting new meme for every Monday called Light in the Darkness. Here we share stories of hope and joy. We can link to a news article or video or tell a story from our own lives. Post about your story and then link to Maria's blog. There is enough negativity in this world. Let's spread some joy and light up the darkness!

One of my favorite songs is the Hallelujah Chorus, from Handel's Messiah. The Messiah was originally sung during Easter but somehow became a Christmas tradition. 
I have always felt like the Hallelujah Chorus was more of an Easter song so decided to share it with you. In looking for a video to use, I found this one done by The Royal Choral Society in England. And I discovered that they sing it every Good Friday. How about that? So here it is. Enjoy.

8 comments :

Vicky said...

I love Baroque music, Colleen! We listen to this in the car - only, sometimes, it makes me speed and then I have to turn it off. It's funny how art makes me feel peaceful and contemplative while music makes me want to sing out loud and praise God. I wonder if that's how other people feel, too?

I hope you're having a nice Easter.
God bless, Colleen:-)

Sue Elvis said...

Happy Easter Colleen!

Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece of music. I agree that it should be sung at Easter. I wonder why the choral society sang it on Good Friday though. Easter Sunday would have been the perfect day!

Maria said...

Hallelujah Indeed!

In college, I spent four months studying in Hungary & flew home Christmas Eve. My last stop before heading home was a couple of days in London where my friend & I were able to attend a performance of Handel's Messiah in Royal Albert Hall. What an awesome experience!

A Blessed Easter Season to you & your family, Colleen! Thanks for joining me in this meme!

Colleen said...

Happy Easter to all!

Vicky,I often feel that way, too. Depends on the music.

Sue, I was puzzled about Good Friday too.

Maria, wow. A God-incidence!

Colleen@ID said...

Colleen, I had that on my "Christ is Risen!" playlist, meaning we have more in common than our first name! Lord of Lord and King of Kings - how could it not be the celebration of Christ, our Victor and Ruler?

Colleen said...

Colleen, ahhh! We have the same likes eh? It is such an awesome song. Gives me goosebumps.
Thanks and God bless!

Richard Maffeo said...

Would love to hear this every Sunday, since it represents the resurrection. Thanks be to God.

Colleen said...

Richard, I would love that too!