Sunday, April 21, 2013

In the Palm of His Hand


  "My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.” John 10:27-30

I love this reading. The image of the Good Shepherd always touches me.
I have a picture in my bedroom of Jesus holding a lamb. Actually, He is cuddling with this lamb. His face is buried in the back of the lamb's neck. The lamb's face looks serene and content. The hand holding the lamb has a nail mark in it.
I look at this picture whenever I feel down or worried or sad. It gives me peace. I feel like I am not alone.

There is so much to reassure us in this reading. Especially knowing that no one can take us out of His hand. No one.
I love that.

Jesus, thank you for loving me and for holding onto me with your loving strength. Please, Jesus, never let me go. Never let anyone or anything snatch me from your hand. Amen.

copied and edited from this blog April 2010
picture by Katherine Brown

11 comments:

Karinann said...

I agree, Colleen. This is such a comforting reading. I was thinking before Mass that while this is such a short Gospel passage, there is so much in it to meditate upon.
Joining you in your beautiful prayer.

Colleen said...

Karinann, I agree! A short reading that was just jam-packed! Thanks and God bless!

Nancy Shuman said...

It's one of my favorite readings also... because no one can snatch me out of His hand!

Colleen said...

Nancy, amen!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Amen, Colleen. I'd love to have a holy card of Jesus cuddling that lamb. It must be beautiful. Wouldn't it be a great image for evangelizing the down-and-out who feel so alone?

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Amen, Colleen. I'd love to have a holy card of Jesus cuddling that lamb. It must be beautiful. Wouldn't it be a great image for evangelizing the down-and-out who feel so alone?

Kathleen Basi said...

I've never even noticed that phrase in there before. You do such a good job of pulling out threads that aren't the obvious ones.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, thank you. Sometimes they just bounce out at me. Other times I have to go digging. I guess it all depends on how much effort God wants me to use! God bless.

Colleen said...

Barb, I will post that picture here for you to see.

Joann / lioness said...

"Jesus never let me go" Amen, amen, amen.

I love that picture. Colleen, Lovely post.

Colleen said...

Joann, thank you!