Sunday, May 12, 2013

Giving Joyful Witness

You are witnesses of these things. - (Luke 24:48)
The idea that the apostles would witness to Jesus' presence in their midst would have amazed me at that time. Before that day, they were too afraid to admit they even knew Jesus, never mind start telling others about him.
When they experienced the resurrection, everything began to change for them. Their eyes and hearts were opened. They were no longer afraid. They no longer felt abandoned or alone.
They had experienced his resurrection. They knew he was not really leaving them. They knew their lives would never be the same.
And not only did they give witness, but they did so with "great joy." (Luke 24:52)
An encounter with the risen Christ changes everything for us. Once we experience His presence in our lives, our eyes and hearts are opened. And we are made new.


And not only do we give witness, but we do so with great joy.
We can't help it.
Lord, I know you are here with me now. Help me to trust in that always. I know that one day I will see your face, but until that time, please help me to do as the apostles did - do you homage and praise you always. And witness to your presence with great joy. Thank you, Lord. Amen.

7 comments :

Nancy said...

What a beautiful reflection and prayer! I have the benefit of 2000+ years of history, but I've always wondered how I would have felt had I lived in Jesus' time. Would I have been a believer/follower? I would like to think so. Even the Apostles struggled. This has given me something to meditate on this week! Thanks, Colleen!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Thanks for this reflection, Colleen. Your writing always prompts me to move into a Sabbath Moment!

The Greek word for witness is martyr. When we witness or testify to Christ we are subject to martyrdom as the Apostles and disciples were. But also, to witness to Christ, we must martyr ourselves - our egos. That is so very difficult to keep up with.

It's a good thing Jesus sent the Holy Spirit on Pentecost to shore everybody up, and that we receive Him in Baptism and Confirmation, or we would be up a creek without a paddle. From this point I then pray for everyone who has not yet been blessed to be a follower of Christ and receive the Holy Spirit. No wonder this world is so full of conflict! Too many of us are witnessing to ourselves and not to Jesus.

Colleen said...

Barb, amen, amen! And funny you should say that (Must be the Holy Spirit) but i just read an article about people saying much the same thing about witnessing to ourselves. Will write about it soon.
God bless!

Michael said...

Nice reflection Colleen! I enjoy thinking about how much the Apostles changed after their encounter with the Risen Christ and the strengthening of the Holy Spirit!

God Bless.

Colleen said...

Michael, thank you! I do too. Pentecost next week!

Joann Nelander said...

Thank you once again Colleen for reflecting on the Resurrection. After seeing Jesus scourged, taunted, crucified and dead on the Cross, who could have imagined what was coming, both in the Resurrection and with the sending of the Holy Spirit. I am reminded of 2 Timothy 1:6,7 " For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands,for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." We need his Spirit to be witnesses.

Colleen said...

Joann, amen! Thank you! I can only imagine what the apostles must have thought. And yes, we need His Spirit. God bless!