Sunday, May 26, 2013

Guided by the Spirit of Truth

“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now. But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. - John 16:12-13
We cannot possibly bear the whole truth all at once.
Look at the Trinity. It is beyond our understanding. We try to explain it. We tell stories and use symbols, but we never come close.
So we say it is a mystery.
And God sends us His Spirit so we can perhaps understand a little at a time. We can learn about the Father and the Son through the Spirit, who whispers in our ear and in our heart the truth.
And we believe.
We believe in something we cannot see and we cannot explain and we cannot understand.
Why?
How?
Could it be we recognize His voice?
"O my God you are truth; unite me to yourself in perfect love. I am so weary of all I read and hear and see, for only in you is all I will or can desire. Let all the learned be silent in your presence and let all creatures be still and you, Lord, alone, speak to my soul."  - The Imitation of Christ, Book 1 ch 3

4 comments :

Jean Wise said...

again I love it we both follow and prayerfully write what is in the lectionary. You know as I grow older I am more and more comfortable with the mystery. Amazed,
even in love with this grand unknown and uncomprehendable God

Colleen said...

Jean, amen! Me too.

Rich Maffeo said...

And likewise it is true: To those who believe, no evidence is necessary. To those who do not believe, no evidence is sufficient.

Colleen said...

Rich, amen! I love that saying. It is so true.