Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Parish Secretaries Can Help Keep the Doors Open

I have been enjoying our Holy Father's daily homilies. He gives such down to earth advice and teachings. Many of his words nourish me.
So you could have knocked me over with a feather when last Saturday he started talking about parish secretaries!
Really? Why was he talking about us?

The gospel reading was a favorite of mine from Mark: Let the children come to me; do not prevent them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. (Mk 10:14) 
Pope Francis was talking about people who approach the Church should find the doors open. He said so many people want to get closer to Jesus and "… we think of so many Christians of goodwill who are wrong and that instead of opening a door they close the door of goodwill."
Then he mentioned parish secretaries … twice!

Go here to CatholicMom.com to read more...

4 comments :

Victor S E Moubarak said...

It's the devil's finest hour when we lock our churches. In the UK many churches are often locked because of theft and vandalism.

God bless.

Colleen said...

Victor, a lot of churches here lock their doors too.
Thanks for the smile.
God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Parish secretaries really are important. They can pave the way for a person returning to the Church, soothe the broken hearted, and all other sorts of good things.

I do wish we didn't have to keep the church doors locked. When I was a kid we could nip in for a short visit to Jesus any time. Now we can't even get somebody to unlock the door for us. It's very discouraging.

Colleen said...

Barb, I am blessed that my church's doors are open during the day time hours. People come and go to pray. I would miss that.
Thanks for your kind words about parish secretaries! :)