Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sabbath Moments - Lectio Divina

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below!

1. Spent my Friday, reading and praying and writing. A wonderful sabbath kind of day.
2. Found a great book to curl up with. Usually I read Catholic books focused on prayer or Catholic spirituality, but I also love people's stories about their spiritual journey as well. This is a non-fiction book about a woman who was a food writer, became Catholic, became a stepmom and used cooking to help bring her new family together. Delightful book - Recipe for Joy. Reading it slows me down a bit.
3. Lectio divina. I am recording some audio tapes of scripture to put on my website for people to use to help them do lectio divina. I am going to record Sunday gospel readings as well as some random scripture passages. Anyone have a favorite passage they would like to suggest? I know what you are thinking, how is this a sabbath moment? Well, when I record these passages, I find myself doing lectio divina as well!

4 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Your Lectio Divina project sounds like it could help many who are interested in doing this form of prayer. I don't have any suggestions because, well, I like too many Bible verses, but for a book to explore, maybe Wisdom, or Proverbs, or Ecclesiasticus.

I ordered Father William Most's commentary on St. Paul's Epistles and am looking forward to using it for Lectio Divina.

Colleen said...

Barb, I know what you mean. I have too many favorites too! But I will explore those books you mention.
I hope it does help people do lectio divina. Thanks!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Like Barb, I have too many favorite scripture verses to suggest just one!

I have a question for you. What program are you using to record your audio? A while ago I was looking into doing some audio recordings but was confused by all the options; not only by which program to use but how to get the audio uploaded to my website. Thanks.

By the way, it sounds like you had a wonderful Friday!

Colleen said...

Carol, I know what you mean about the verses! That is why I asked for suggestions!! :)
I will email you those answers!