Sunday, June 16, 2013

Do I Show Great Love?

"So I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; hence, she has shown great love." - Luke 7:47
This Gospel story never ceases to move me. I am so amazed at what love can do. 
Love can forgive and love can be healed and love can love so intensely that one is willing to endure ridicule and disdain in order to show her love extravagantly.
To show love for Jesus, what I am willing to do? What am I willing to endure? What am I willing to give?
Am I willing to say I am sorry? Am I willing to beg forgiveness? Am I willing to cry tears of remorse and bathe Jesus' feet with those tears?
Many a time I have sat in front of the Blessed Sacrament and cried my eyes out. Maybe I was guilty of a sin. Maybe I was sad or afraid or hurting.
Did I give all of myself to Him? Did I pour out my heart and my tears and my love?
Did I show great love?
Oh my sweet Lord. Help me to love much. Help me to pour out that love for you.
 

first posted 6/13/10

11 comments :

Michael said...

Nice reflection Colleen!

There is a song by MercyMe called "I Can Only Imagine" (which I'm sure you know), and a verse that asks "Will I dance for you Jesus, or in awe of You be still?" I often wonder, like you, how I will show Jesus great love at the moment I (hopefully) meet Him.

But to your point ... am I doing it now?

God Bless.

Colleen said...

Michael, I love that song! Thanks for reminding me.

Jean Wise said...

This story always gets to me too. what love.what worship. what surrender.

Colleen said...

Jean, always so moving. God bless.

Joann / lioness said...

What a wonderful question to ask, Colleen. All the questions that followed in your post shall stay with me. Thank you!

Colleen said...

Joann, thanks so much! I am glad I gave you some "points to ponder!"

Michael Seagriff said...

What a beautiful post. Lord, teach me how to love.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I always admired the woman who bathed Jesus' feet with her tears. She endured shame and ridicule while doing it, but Jesus knew her heart. Praised be Him who knows our contrition. Thanks for this beautiful reflection.

Colleen said...

Michael, thank you. God bless!

Barb, thank you. Jesus does know our hearts. Thank goodness. God bless!

Rich Maffeo said...

poignant questions you ask.

Colleen said...

Rich, this question - how do I show love for Jesus? - has always intrigued me.