Saturday, June 29, 2013

Sababth Moments - Day by Day

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.

I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below!

1. Reading Day by Day with Saint Benedict, by Terence Kardong, OSB. It has meditations for each day of the year, based on readings from the Rule of St. Benedict. I am enjoying this book and am reminded of St. Benedict's wisdom and spirituality.

2. I felt totally wiped out by the end of my work week. Just relaxed all day Friday. Reading. Writing. Lectio. I so needed that day of "rest."

3. I love reading the Holy Father's homilies every morning. One morning last week, (June 22nd), he was talking about seeking the kingdom of God first. And he said If we are all worried about our cares and our riches, if we forget the past, if we do not accept the present and we disfigure the future, then we live as if we do not have a Father. Wow. That is a sabbath moment that caught my attention. Do I live as if I do not have a Father?

4. I saw a rainbow the other day on my way home from work. I took the picture while I was sitting at a red light! It came out rather light, but believe me, it was so beautiful. Rainbows remind me of God's promise to be with us always. Thank you, Lord!


3 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Lovely rainbow. I never tire of looking at them when I can find them in the sky, nor of pictures of them.

I am reading Simon's commentary on the Rule of St. Benedict every day as part of my morning devotions. It is good food for thought.

A recurring thought for me is to trust in the Father. It's tempting to fear for the future, especially when this world places so much confidence in money and power, of which I have precious little, but by raising our eyes to the Father in acceptance of His will and confidence in His protection we can live the present moment without fear and in peace and joy.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Blessings to you and yours Colleen.

Colleen said...

Barb, love your comment trusting in the Father.

Victor, thank you ! Blessings to you too!