Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sabbath Moments - Listening

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below!

1. Listen. Sabbath moments are not always easy to notice unless we take the time to sit and listen and pay attention. I am getting back into that "same ol' thing" where I do too much and do not take time to stop and smell the roses. OR listen to my Lord. Cannot hear what He has to say if I am not silent and listening.

2. Corpus Christi. Working on the program for the Holy Hour for Corpus Christi on Sunday.  It has been a labor of love and I am looking forward to that Sabbath Moment (hour)!

3. Pope Francis' question. I am enjoying listening to or reading our Holy Father's daily homilies and his teachings. The other day at his general audience, he asked - "Do you love the Church? Do you pray for the Church? Do you feel a part of this family? What do you do to make others feel heard and understood?"
His question - Do you love the Church? - brought tears to my eyes. I knew from my reaction that my answer is yes. And that question will just not leave me.

10 comments :

Victor S E Moubarak said...

The thing is, Colleen; life is becoming busier all the time and there just isn't any time for a quiet moment. A moment of peace when we can stop, and pray, and meditate.

I know I should try more but the demands of life are at times too much. I pray God understands and forgives.

God bless.

Nancy said...

Same ol' thing for me too. It's sad really, how God gives these Sabbath moments as a gift....but I'm too busy to notice.

Thank you for the reminder, Colleen.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Pope Francis is asking all the questions that get to the heart of the matter: loving the Church is loving Jesus and His family. He prods our consciences and makes us squirm. In the process he is calling us to be the best that we can be as followers of Jesus.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed that we are able to hear a bit of the Pope's daily sermons. Never before in Church history has it been possible for the faithful to be taught directly by the Pope every day, no matter where in the world we are. God is really pouring out Sabbath Moments on us.

I just want to say how grateful I am to have met a fellow traveler like you. Thanks for your blog.

Colleen said...

Victor, I know what you mean. It is a constant struggle, but when I do make the time, it makes all the difference in my life.
And yes, I know God understands.
God bless.

Nancy, I guess we all struggle with this. One thing for sure, the struggle seems to remind us all to re-prioritize!

Barb, I feel the same way! Overwhelmed and grateful and just plain awed by it all. I am grateful for you too. It is good to travel with fellow believers with whom to share all.

Joann / lioness said...

We are so blessed by the Church. What a gift, pouring from the open side of Jesus with power and grace for all ages, and all who chose to be small and open to such sacrificial Love. Tears and love do go hand in hand. Your response, Colleen, is beautiful.

Colleen said...

Joann, thank you. I love your comment here about the gift of the Church.
God bless!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

This is a beautiful reminder. We can't hear God speak to our hearts unless we listen and we can't listen unless we quiet our hearts. But like the others said so well, it is so hard!

Colleen said...

Carol, yes, it is so hard, no matter how much we want to listen. All we can do is keep trying!

Kathleen Basi said...

Where are you finding the homilies every day? I think that sounds like a lovely opportunity for a breath of contemplation.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, it is!! I love it!! I have an iphone/ipad app - Missio. It has a feed from CNS and News.VA. There are daily summaries of his homilies, pictures, videos. Or you can just go to the News.VA website too which has a lot more to read and absorb! I find it all too much to keep up with so Missio is just perfect for me.